News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

28th Infantry Division Medal

lambert

World War I Units of the 28th Infantry Division , known at the time as the 7th Division, were called to active duty for the Mexican Border incidents in 1916. Pennsylvania's 7th Division was ordered to active duty at camp Hancock, Georgia, on July 15, 1917. On October 11, 1917, the Division was reorganized as the 28th Division while it was still training in Georgia. The 28th Division arrived in France on May 18, 1918. It was committed to battle on July 14. Soldiers of the Division participated in six major campaigns----Champagne, Champagne-Marne, Aisne- Marne, Oise-Marne, Lorraine, and Meuse-Argonne. During those campaigns, over 14,000 battle casu- alties were suffered the division. Its fierce combat abilities earned it the title "Iron Division" from General of the Armies John J. Pershing.

a medal is pretty cool, but my question is. there is still spare this medal? This medal is my recent models?

DSCF2553.JPG

DSCF2561.JPG

DSCF2560.JPG

DSCF2555.JPG

Thanks

Lambert

lambert-

very nice to see this 28th Div medal!

i have my grandfather's example as well as the campaign

bars from champagne-marne,aisne-marne, oise-marne, and meuse-argonne,

as well as the american defense sector. these are mounted on his WW 1 victory medal.

he was a batallion surgeon and took care of many of the enormous number of

casualties, including german wounded.

could you restate your question, as i am not sure i understand what you

are asking about the 28th division medal?

thanks!

joe

Hundreds of these medals were found a few years ago in the storage areas of the Pennsylvania National Guard. The medals were all in their original boxes of issue, with the ribbon bars. They are all (including this one) from the original strike by Davison of Philadelphia and all in beautiful condition. Similar stocks of the Pennsylvania Mexican Border Service Medal were also found.

Yes, I have seen a lot of these on eBay and other avenues over the last few years, though they are starting to increase in price now. I see certain state victory medals still in the boxes as well. Good to grab when you can.

Tim

post-548-056044400 1293271302_thumb.jpg

$13.75 buy-it-now on eBay; more than 10 available. What's crazy is, others are trying to sell these same medals for over $75. !!!:mad::shame:

Goes without saying; pays to shop around! :beer:

Tim

Thanks, Jeff, Tim, Joe.

I am very happy to know that it is an original medal. and yet very accessible.

I began to collect medals for a short time, your help is very important. :D

A happy 2011 to everyone!

Lambert

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

World War I Units of the 28th Infantry Division , known at the time as the 7th Division, were called to active duty for the Mexican Border incidents in 1916. Pennsylvania's 7th Division was ordered to active duty at camp Hancock, Georgia, on July 15, 1917. On October 11, 1917, the Division was reorganized as the 28th Division while it was still training in Georgia. The 28th Division arrived in France on May 18, 1918. It was committed to battle on July 14. Soldiers of the Division participated in six major campaigns----Champagne, Champagne-Marne, Aisne- Marne, Oise-Marne, Lorraine, and Meuse-Argonne. During those campaigns, over 14,000 battle casu- alties were suffered the division. Its fierce combat abilities earned it the title "Iron Division" from General of the Armies John J. Pershing.

a medal is pretty cool, but my question is. there is still spare this medal? This medal is my recent models?

DSCF2553.JPG

DSCF2561.JPG

DSCF2560.JPG

DSCF2555.JPG

Thanks

Lambert

Hello to all, There are two types: the first is "National Guard" and the second is Federal Service.

The 1st was issued to those who were not sent to France for manyreasons but were serving during the war. The 2nd type was for those sent to France.

Both are from J.K. Davison's and both came in the same marked box. There was a large surplus of the National Guard medals that is why you will still find them in mint cond.

Regards, Jim

Edited by johnnymac

• 1 month later...

Hello to all, There are two types: the first is "National Guard" and the second is Federal Service.

The 1st was issued to those who were not sent to France for manyreasons but were serving during the war. The 2nd type was for those sent to France.

Both are from J.K. Davison's and both came in the same marked box. There was a large surplus of the National Guard medals that is why you will still find them in mint cond.

Regards, Jim

Hi Jim

Thank you for this information.

I was unaware of that fact.

So I believe that the Service Medal, Type 2

is "rare"?

Lambert

Edited by lambert