News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Egypt Order of Republic

Markus

post-8734-042364900 1295395747_thumb.jpg

I recently purchased an Egyptian Order of Republic set with commanders neck badge and breast star 2nd class, type two. The workmanship and design of this order astounds me! Can anyone tell me the maker of this medal and the approximate time frame it was made. Attached is the breast star and makers mark on the back of the medal. Thanks for your help!

post-8734-042364900 1295395747_thumb.jpg

I recently purchased an Egyptian Order of Republic set with commanders neck badge and breast star 2nd class, type two. The workmanship and design of this order astounds me! Can anyone tell me the maker of this medal and the approximate time frame it was made. Attached is the breast star and makers mark on the back of the medal. Thanks for your help!

post-8734-075341500 1295396191_thumb.jpg

The Breast Star image didn't attach, So here I try again.

The Commanders badge.post-8734-028546700 1295396370_thumb.jpg

The manufacturer is Tewfik Bichai probably made in the 1960's.

Charming man who I met on several occasions. He spent his latter years in Canada.

In the 1980's and 90's he was selling off large quantities of surplus stock not only of Egyptian but other middle eastern Orders.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

The quality of the workmanship is amazing. So I take it that the firm Bichai is no longer in business?

Best Regards, Marcus

The manufacturer is Tewfik Bichai probably made in the 1960's.

Charming man who I met on several occasions. He spent his latter years in Canada.

In the 1980's and 90's he was selling off large quantities of surplus stock not only of Egyptian but other middle eastern Orders.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

The quality of the workmanship is amazing. So I take it that the firm Bichai is no longer in business?

Best Regards, Marcus

Not that I am aware of but I am not sure who makes current Egyptian insignia.

Paul

Hello Gentlemen,the type of insignia show by Markus (with eagle & 2 stars in the white stripes) is the type of the United Arab Republic (formed by the political union of Egypt & Syria in 1958).The Eagle is the Eagle of Saladin.Despite Syria left the union in 1961 the Eagle of Saladin was used on the insignia of the Order of the Republic (but also on the others Orders) until 1 january 1972 (when it was replaced by a hawk.

Here you can see an Officer of the Order of the Republic of the same period 1958-71.

The manufacturer is ever Bichay (whatever the period,even from 1953 to 1958).

Emmanuel

At its creation in 1953 the Order of the Republic had a slightly different shape,as the 5 tip star pointed upward (after 1958 the star point downward).Also note the "lily" suspension which was also on lower class insignia.The blue colour is also lighter than on the later version of the Order.

Emmanuel

As I wrote previously President Sadate choose to adop the hawk on the suspension of the Order of the Republic (but also on the Order of Merit) on 1 january 1972.

I do not have such type in my collection,so I have scanned the page from the Book of Egyptian Protocol,a gift from Mr Bichay who was a very kind person.He passed away during summer 2004.

Emmanuel

On 4 october 1984 President Moubarak decided to return to the Egale of Saladin design (but without the 2 stars in the white central stripes).Few insignia of this type have been observed,but the star below is part of the 2nd Class of the Order of the Republic awarded to Jean Leclant (egyptologist and perpetual Secretary of the Academie des Inscriptions et Belles Lettres) on 30 september 1987.

His insignia have been given to the Museum of the Legion of Honour in Paris.

Emmanuel

Emmanuel,

Thank you so much for your clarifications and knowledge on the Order of The Republic. It is amazing how one little detail on an order can give it a whole new history. Did the firm continue after Mr. Bichay's passing or is it now a piece of history? From what I have read Bichay's firm was famous for producing orders for many middle eastern countries and an official Jeweler to the rulers of Egypt.

Best Regards,

Marcus

on the Order of The Republic.

On 4 october 1984 President Moubarak decided to return to the Egale of Saladin design (but without the 2 stars in the white central stripes).Few insignia of this type have been observed,but the star below is part of the 2nd Class of the Order of the Republic awarded to Jean Leclant (egyptologist and perpetual Secretary of the Academie des Inscriptions et Belles Lettres) on 30 september 1987.

His insignia have been given to the Museum of the Legion of Honour in Paris.

Emmanuel

The Bichay family still runs the firm, and their retail shop still exists in downtown Cairo, on Sharia Talaat Harb. They still manufacture military ranks and insignia, as well as civilian items (key chains, desk medals, etc.) I don't know if they still manufacture orders and decorations, or if existing stocks fill all the government's needs.

The store is very hit-or-miss. The staff sometimes is friendly and will indulge foreign tourists by selling them items, sometimes they're sticklers for the rules which prohibit sales of military insignia. They may occasionally have medals or ribbons for sale, but mostly the military insignia are rank insignia, branch of service (collar badges and sleeve shields), buttons, etc.

Chris