News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unofficial Campaign Medals

Tim B

Hi Tim,

That is interesting indeed. I'm pretty new to collecting Japanese medals but I've never seen one of these before. I hope other, more knowledgable, members will weigh in with their opinions.

Thanks for posting this interesting medal.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

Yes, hoping as well! You just don't see these that often but got thinking last night that I have seen one of these Indonesian Invasion Medals sometime back but couldn't find anything in my files.

Here's another interesting thread I am asking about as well: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47488&pid=438024&st=0&#entry438024

Tim :cheers:

All I can say is that is cool!! Thanks for showing that. I'm sure Paul or Rich C. will have good input on this. Might even want to check Rich's website, he might have something there, not sure.

Hi Dieter!

I did check Rich's site but couldn't find this one shown. Pretty extensive and I may have missed it, but ?? I also went back through the 15 pages here and couldn't find any old threads on this medal. I could have sworn we seen/discussed this medal before though.

I'll wait to see what others have to add.

Tim

There is a huge variety of unofficial badges and medals like this in Japan, hence the book I wrote. I have not seen this one before and it is a nice one to get. In general items for the Great East Asian War are a lot scarcer than earlier conflicts up to and including the China Incident to 1940. The reason for this is that you did not have all the veterans coming back victorious from the war after 1940, so there was not the same level of self congratulation. Probably the most famous unofficial campaign medal from the Japanese in WWII is the Homma Medal for the invasion of the Phillipines. He was completely lambasted by the powers that be for creating it.

:cheers:

Thanks Paul!

I have never seen this ribbon or medal displayed on any bars, so I thought perhaps it was a regimental award. However, I don't see any regimental numbers being called out specifically. Certainly striking with the Indonesian Islands being shown and the small Japanese flag on the island of Java (bottom).

I know the 16th IJA had control of this region from early 1942 to the war's end, so perhaps attributed to them?

Tim :beer:

Edited by Tim B

• 1 month later...

That is a very interesting medal. Is there any indication that these were worn on medal or ribbon bars?

No, private group medals could not be worn on medal bars.

This is a really nice medal, though. Issued by a group called Minori Association, which sorry to say (for research reasons) is a really popular name for groups in Japan. The word 'minori' has a multitude of meanings related to 'fruitful' and 'productive.'

Since this is marked 'participation commemorative,' it was most likely given to soldiers, not just given freely to group members as a general commemorative. Excellent piece.

Cheers,

Rich