News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Bronze & Silver Stars

Thanks Tim, I acquired both of these medals from different boot markets and didn't pay that much for them?

They are now framed and sat in my spare bedroom on display with my other militaria.

I have another frame of US medals which I will take a pic of and post in the US medals section.

Thanks Mike, can I assume your fathers medals were awarded to him and if so what for?

Is there a story you can share with us?

Yes, they were both awarded to him. I'm afraid I can't really remember too much about them, sorry to say. I know he told me all kinds of stories when I was a child, but the details have become fuzzy over time. He was a US Army Infantry officer in both WW2 (2nd Lieutenant) and the Korean War (Captain). I believe he may have earned one medal in WW2 and the other in Korea, but I just can't really remember. He was in the 8th Infantry Division in WW2 and the 25th Infantry Division in Korea. I do recall that sometime after landing in Normady in WW2 his unit was involved in fighting at Brest, France and he had a German grenade blow a hole in his lower leg for which he received the Purple Heart. He was hospitalized in England for a good bit of time. The army was going to medically retire him as a 2nd lieutenant, but luckily his sister was an army nurse stationed in the same hospital and she helped him get a second opinion from another doctor that saved his army career and he finally retired in 1959 with 22 years service.

I wish I knew more to tell you.

Hi Mike,

You should be able to request a copy of your father's service record and from there you should be able to discern the details of where/when he was awarded all his awards. You might even have a copy of the citations or award recommendation write-up (details used to substantiate the award recommendation) in that packet as well.

I really need to do this for my dad as well, though don't expect anything other than the usual awards for WWII.

Tim

Tim, thanks for sharing. Both the Bronze and Silver Stars are nice looking medals, simple in design but pleasing to the eye.

I have framed the above 2 together and they display really well and they provide me with a reminder of the sacrifices made by the young men of the United States of America. God Bless em! :)