News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My US medal collection

Thought I would share my small collection of US medals. I have already posted a picture of a Bronze and Silver Star on my recent purchases.

Left to right top row, European African Middle eastern campaign, WW2 Victory, Bronze Star, Campaign and 45 Army of Occupation.

Bottom row, Korean war, Vietnam, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal and Purple Heart.

The last three and the occupation medal are all restrikes or copies? The rest are originals as far as I can tell.

• 1 month later...

Managed to have a look at the brooches on my US medals, the Bronze Star is the only one with a slotted brooch. The others are all crimp but the finish on them apart from the bottom 3 right and the Occupation medal suggest these were issued maybe some time ago? I have also just picked up 2 good conduct medals Army and Air Force. Army is ww2/korea issue but air force is later but not modern.

Edited by muckaroon1960

Your Army Good Conduct Medal has the slotted brooch and is probably WWII/Korea vintage. This type of brooch was used starting around 1920 as it was more economical to produce from the wrap-style brooches of earlier times. You see this type of brooch used though the early 1960's, where it was finally replaced by the crimped brooch as shown on your Air Force Good Conduct Medal.

The crimped style brooch was actually used as early as 1943, though the brooch was wider than those we see on more modern medals post 1947.

Keep in mind that these timelines are approximate. Often depends on which medals were talking about and supplies of existing stock were used until depleted, so you could see older style brooches used after the newer style was being produced.

Looking at some of the medals you show in your group PIC, I would say the WWII Campaign Medals are probably produced around 1946-48 with the crimped brooch style; most common. You do see the American Defense Medal (not shown in your collection) and WWII Victory Medal commonly on the slot brooch as well but, I have seen very few Asiatic-Pacific or European, African, Middle-Eastern Campaign Medals that have the slotted-brooch style. These would have been the initial ones produced in early 1946.

Tim :cheers:

Edited by Tim B

• 2 weeks later...