News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What EXACTLY is this Iraqi Shoulder insignia

Paul R

This shoulder slide has the insignia of the Iraqi Popular Army pinned through the top layer. I have some questions about it, as I have never seen another like it:

1. What is the rank, exactly?

2. What organization doest it belong to?

3. What is the green velvetine stripe mean(This is the only Iraqi rank insignia Ihave seen with the green stripe).

Well Paul, I can't tell you what it is for certain. However, the construction is certainly done in the proper Iraqi style and not by dubious E-bay vendor style. It could be as simple as a rank denotation for an element of the Popular Army. (Perhaps one stripe in green for a "Jundi" or private, or maybe an officer equivalent to Lieutenent?) Very interesting piece, are they in a pair? Scott.

Yep. It is a set. Both boards look as if they had something punched through, above the disk emblem, at some point.

I got them from Lorenzo some time ago.

I just wonder what the green stripe represents, since Iraq has always used red...

Unless... it belongs to an enlisted ranking, who chose to wear his stripes on his shoulder versus he sleeve?

Well Paul, I can't tell you what it is for certain. However, the construction is certainly done in the proper Iraqi style and not by dubious E-bay vendor style.

What are some traits that are dubious on the Ebay styles? I have not bought any, but I have not payed attention either.

Thank you Lorenzo. That is some good information.

They wore uniforms, and I believe Scott has one of the original 1980's hats in his collection.

Lorenzo

Some of the information I found out about the Insignia is that it was worn by District Commanders. The District Commanders were in charge of the districts of their areas which were over seen by the Sector Commander that controlled up to 10 bases in their sector.

Knowing that they were civil volunteers they still wore uniforms, and protected the Ba'ath from the Regular Army. The Ba'ath Republic took what Abd al Karim Qasim did to the king of Iraq in the 14 July Revolution. The Free Officers and the military rose up against the kingdom to start a new Republic so the Popular Army was established to prevent this action taking place again.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Some of the information I found out about the Insignia is that it was worn by District Commanders. The District Commanders were in charge of the districts of their areas which were over seen by the Sector Commander that controlled up to 10 bases in their sector.

Knowing that they were civil volunteers they still wore uniforms, and protected the Ba'ath from the Regular Army. The Ba'ath Republic took what Abd al Karim Qasim did to the king of Iraq in the 14 July Revolution. The Free Officers and the military rose up against the kingdom to start a new Republic so the Popular Army was established to prevent this action taking place again.

Thank you

Lorenzo

I read that in 1997 the Ba'ath Government Joint Committee were tasked to up the ranks of the Popular Army to one million. They took school teachers and students and one member of each house hold to join the Popular Army. Ages were from 18-65 which were required to have 2-3 hours of weapons training for approximately 40 days.

Lorenzo

Where did you find this information? Cool stuff! :cheers:

Where did you find this information? Cool stuff! :cheers:

Paul

It is so good to hear from you, most of the information is collective information that I found or heard about. I put all the information together in one section for each of the Branch Services or Government agency for research. There are a few books out there that break down each Organization of Saddam Hussein’s Regime. I have tons of Iraqi Military books which are in Arabic if I find something in there worth translating I have my contacts in Iraq help me with that. Two of my contacts are in Egypt one is a doctor an Iraqi who left before the invasion in 2003, but I have not heard from him since the riots started I bet he has been very busy in the hospital due to all the injuries that may have occurred.

Thank you

Lorenzo

This is a very beautiful Rank set, I wish I had kept it for my collection. Today I am still trying to find another to add to my collection and still have not found one.

Lorenzo

The green strip is to represent the Section Commanders each section was assigned a color. Some of the colors of the stripes that were used were green, brown, dark blue almost all the colors that were used for the felt ribbons on the Medals for Work. I will try to find out more information about them as soon as I get back into contact with my friend in Egypt.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Thank you Lorenzo. You are certainly well connected.

Paul

I guess it was luck; I am so glad that I took my collecting Iraqi Militaria so seriously it helped me meet many good friends and contacts to help in research and finding Iraqi Military Relics for my collection.

Thank you for viewing

Lorenzo