News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Opinions Please

No on has any thoughts or opinions on this cross? :unsure:

Ken calls this one a "private-purchase" and that is very likely as it is not the typical construction found on period 1870 crosses. (see other examples for sale by other dealers)

As a private-purchase cross we don't know "when" it was made. Either way, as a unknown construction type, or as later period private-purchase it is considered less desirable by collectors (IMO) Unless it can be obtained at a great price.

Ken calls this one a "private-purchase" and that is very likely as it is not the typical construction found on period 1870 crosses. (see other examples for sale by other dealers)

As a private-purchase cross we don't know "when" it was made. Either way, as a unknown construction type, or as later period private-purchase it is considered less desirable by collectors (IMO) Unless it can be obtained at a great price.

That was one of my questions, inasmuch as it doesn't look like others I've seen from that time. I thought it might have been a remake from around WW1. He has it priced at $1,925:00, which is almost half of what I've seen them go for lately.

Edited by Obergefreiter

IMHO don't like the cross for 4 point.

1) - the scarce sharp of details, see the crown.!!!

2) - number 8 not correct form

3) the crosses of 1870 are no painted

4) Hinge, catch and pin not correct.

Maybe a 1870 awarded on early '900, but not awarded on 1870's, I remember until last of 1914 the IC of 1st and 2nd class was cast made and we found a cross with a cracked core. (same the cross swhowned).

I repeat it's only my though but for this price I go away !!

Best regards

just on general principle, $1925 is WAY more

than i'd spend on this....

yes, it may be a private purchase, but it

would truly be a "low end" private purchase...

to me, it has the curb appeal of an AMC Pacer.

the hinge/catch doesn't bother me anywhere near as

much as the paint job...

joe

Thanks for your comments, Gents. To be perfectly honest about it I have a terrible eye for detail on things like this, but the hinge, pin & catch are what raised the red flag in my eyes. Mr. G. is just going to have to sell it to someone else. Thanks again. NGL.