News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What the order is this (1903)?

Komandir RKKA

Hi

Frankly, I don't know what is this medal.

It is not a French official medal and I doubt it is French. There is a big mistake in the word "HONNEUR" which is written "HORNEUR"... may be a mix with HORREUR...

:speechless1:

Regards

Bison

Hi

Frankly, I don't know what is this medal.

It is not a French official medal and I doubt it is French. There is a big mistake in the word "HONNEUR" which is written "HORNEUR"... may be a mix with HORREUR...

:speechless1:

Regards

Bison

A well made piece and I suspect the spelling mistake is deliberate. I suspect the answer lies in the BF by the turret at the top.

Possibly a satirical award in the nature of Bouffon Francais

All the best,

Paul

This looks like the Croix des Sauveteurs du Haut-Rhin et du Territoire de Belfort from the 1870/71 period. The semi-official and unoffical life-saving awards of the 1870 period can command high prices amongst French collectors and some of these awards are faked. It might be genuine, despite the spelling error. It would be necessary to show this to an experienced collector. I found this image on http://semon.fr/LES%20MEDAILLES%20DE%20SAUVETAGE_3.htm. Look also at http://semon.fr/LES%20MEDAILLES%20DE%20SAUVETAGE_2.htm

Interesting site.

Edited by PKeating

You are welcome. If you click on this link, you can find a scan of a postcard dating from 1913 showing a portrait photographed at Trouville on the Normandy coast of one Frédéric Postel, decorated with thirty-two «médailles de sauvetage» as well as the insignia of the Légion d'Honneur. Right in the middle of his chest seems to be the Croix des sauveteurs de Belfort. Note the large suspension ring. There would have been several makers of some of these medals over the years. A spelling error in "honneur" seems strange but it would not be the first time a die engraver made a mistake. There are some good French medal forums - whose members come here sometimes - where there must be someone who can offer you a more definitive opinion.

PK

Edited by PKeating

You are welcome. If you click on this link - http://www.cpaphil.com/images//QDK/QDK079.jpg you can find a scan of a postcard dating from 1913 showing a portrait photographed at Troubille on the Normandy coast of one Frédéric Postel, decorated with thirty-two «médailles de sauvetage» as well as the insignia of the Légion d'Honneur. Right in the middle of his chest seems to be the Croix des sauveteurs de Belfort. Note the large suspension ring. There would have been several makers of some of these medals over the years. A spelling error in "honneur" seems strange but it would not be the first time a die engraver made a mistake. There are some good French medal forums - whose members come here sometimes - where there must be someone who can offer you a more definitive opinion.

PK

QDK079.jpg