News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Regiment

Hi all, I have this old family photo of a family member was appears to have served in the 1939-45 conflict. Unfortunately little is known about him. could any of our experts recognise which regiment he belonged based on the grainy image attached? any help appreciated

regards

Alex K

Of course, it could be just the angle and the graininess of the photo, but I truly don't think this is a Royal Artillery badge. The "scroll" appears too straight and I can't discern any straight angles to the top portion. It looks totally round instead of having a barrel to the left and the gun trail to the right. OTOH, I have no viable alternative; I've glanced through the two books I have on badges, but no real good candidates.

In this case the R.A. "beret" badge is about two thirds the size(if that) of what we would normally recognise and more compact, so the detail you see on the larger "cap" badge as worn in the peaked cap isn't as prominent as you would expect.

I'm just saying I wouldn't be so definitive that this is RA with no other possibilities. I have physical examples of both RA badges - and holding them here in my hand right now, I'm still not convinced this is without any question RA. But the fact I have no viable alternative, makes RA the leading candidate.

Hi Ed - in this case I'm afraid not. The type of belt worn with the older and newer pattern 'BD', as we used to call it was the 1937 Pattern web belt. As an ex-DLI Army Cadet we were still wearing these uniforms and the belts well into the late 60's early 70's, long after the Army had gone over to No.2 Dress. I went onto to join the R.N. in 1976 and later saw our helicopter aircrewmen wearing the naval dark blue version 'BD' blouses in the late 70's.

Irishgunner - sorry if my reply sounded a bit "offish".

Hi Gents, thanks for all your input, looking at the photo it could now, well be post war, more like national service, still unfortunately doesn't identify the regiment, I'm still enclined to RA

Alex K

I will defer to Graham and Mike on questions of uniform - however, I have to agree with Rick and say that I am not convinced it is RA. I agree with post war with the tie - but the badge ?

Battle Dress is 1949 pattern (open collar, pleated pockets, buttons visible).