News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

on the 20th of feb 1915 "Hauptmann Holler", very likely of the bavarian 22 RIR was wounded (maybe died).

Can anyone add any meat to those bones?

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

I don't have any references other than the 1914 Rangliste. In it I find a Hauptmann Gustav Holler in the 17 IR who was born in 1877 and there's a Leutnant Alois Holler in the 8 IR born in 1883. There's also a Oberleutnant Johann Holler, but he is an artillery officer, and a Leutnant Viktor Höller who is also in the artillery.

Chris,

I don't have any references other than the 1914 Rangliste. In it I find a Hauptmann Gustav Holler in the 17 IR who was born in 1877 and there's a Leutnant Alois Holler in the 8 IR born in 1883. There's also a Oberleutnant Johann Holler, but he is an artillery officer, and a Leutnant Viktor Höller who is also in the artillery.

alois sounds like a potential match... I know men from the 8 BIR went to the 22 BRIR...

Best

Chris

Alois Holler was promoted to Oberleutnant in mid-1914. He received the BMV4X on 30.11.14. He received his BZ3bX in March 1915 while still with 8.IR (whose Inhaber was the Grand Duke of Baden). He was killed in action as a Hauptmann on 7.4.17 at Arras (St. Laurent), while still serving with 8.IR.

Alois Holler was promoted to Oberleutnant in mid-1914. He received the BMV4X on 30.11.14. He received his BZ3bX in March 1915 while still with 8.IR (whose Inhaber was the Grand Duke of Baden). He was killed in action as a Hauptmann on 7.4.17 at Arras (St. Laurent), while still serving with 8.IR.

Scratch alois then, shoulda seen the jump Lt to Hauptmann would not have been possible :-(

Chris,

Gustav Holler, formerly of 17. Infanterie-Regiment Orff, was the 22 RIR Hauptmann. I understand he was killed /died in February 1915.

Regards

Glenn

Thank you indeed....

Reason i ask is this...

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/49145-bavarian-gold-bravery-medal-group/page__gopid__452231#entry452231

Chris,

Gustav Holler, formerly of 17. Infanterie-Regiment Orff, was the 22 RIR Hauptmann. I understand he was killed /died in February 1915.

Regards

Glenn

Hptm. Holler survived the war. He was char. as a Maj. a.D. with permission to wear the uniform of 17.IR on 26. Okt. 1920.

Regards,

Dave

Dave,

thanks for that. His Stamrolle entry for BRIR 22 does not make it clear when he died although the record is annotated with a red cross and ruled out in red.

Regards

Glenn

Dave,

thanks for that. His Stamrolle entry for BRIR 22 does not make it clear when he died although the record is annotated with a red cross and ruled out in red.

Regards

Glenn

Had a simlar ruling out in red for a few of my guys, sometimes related to a transfer... could be the clerk in RIR22 made a mistake and pronounced him dead, never to be corrected as he was transfered and none cared about him anymore anyway..

My Guess... badly wounded, invalided out... made Major a.D. after the war, therefore no further references to his wartime postings.

Best

Chris

Had a simlar ruling out in red for a few of my guys, sometimes related to a transfer... could be the clerk in RIR22 made a mistake and pronounced him dead, never to be corrected as he was transfered and none cared about him anymore anyway..

My Guess... badly wounded, invalided out... made Major a.D. after the war, therefore no further references to his wartime postings.

Best

Chris

He is still listed in the 15. April 1918 Bavarian rank list for active officers. Would that have been the case if invalided out?

• 2 years later...
    Guest Rick Research

Yikes! How about some BIGGER for the old cyclops, buddy!? He was assigned to the st(ellvertretendes) Gen(eral)K(omman)do K.B. II. Armeekorps-- the Home Establishment of IInd Bavarian Army Corps, headquarters Würzburg.

My Hauptmann Alois Louis was shot through both legs and an amputee--and HE got to be at Brest-Litowsk doing railway staff work. So "hoppy" was apparently in better condition than your guy. The rest of Holler's details in that ancestrydot com stuff?

BIG scans. NICE scans.

And these damned flimsier and flimsier keyboards make my brain-faster-than-type WORSE, too. Skipping or doubling letters is plasti-crap, not mental decline. So far.

Edited by Rick Research