News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need to know what a specific medal bar looked like

I need a bit of help from the medal bar experts. I am sculpting a scale model painted bust as a thankyou gift for the son of a senior Wehrmacht officer. I need to sculpt and paint his WWI decorations which included:

• Iron Cross 2nd Class 1917
    • Wounded badge in black - 1918
    • Wounded abdge in silver 1918
    • Iron Cross 1st Class 1919
    • V Corps badge
    • Silesian Eagle
    • Merit badge of II Marine Brigade Ehrhardt
    • Clasp Iron Cross 1st Class 1941
    • Clasp Iron Cross 2nd Class 1941
    • Infantry Assault Badge in silver 1941
    • Wehrmacht 4 year service medal

Can anyone tell me what his medal bar likely looked like? I assume the V Corps badge, wounded badge, merit badge of brigade Ehrhardt & infantry close asault badge would not be in the bar. How about the EK I & II with clasps? Would these medals be worn in the bar and as separate decorations? What order would the medals appear in on the bar?

Any help gratefully received!! If any one wants to see the sculpt or know more about the officer I can post a photo in th modeling section and/or provide more info.

Thanks

Colin

Are you trying to depict his full parade medal bar with medals,

or the mini ribbon bar as worn every day while in WW2 uniform?

While not being "an expert" some observations.

You are right to assume some of the awards would not be displayed in the WW2 period.

Some info with regards the list:-

Prussian 1914 Iron Cross II Class, (regardless of when in WW1 issued.)

Prussian 1914 I Class(regardless of when in WW1 issued,) worn on the lower left breast pocket.

Only one class of wound badge is displayed on the lower part of left breast pocket.

In this case to the right of the Iron Cross I Class.

However, as he has a Nazi 1939 Iron Cross award he could sport a WW1 Cross with Nazi 1939 spange fixed to the upper arm (eagle with outstretched wings over wreath with swastika over the date 1939.

From 1934 onwards he would have been entitled to wear the Hindenburg Cross with swords for a Combatant.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Thanks Kev -

BTW the model is of Major (later Otl) Friedrich Wilhelm Heinz, a major anti-Hitler conspirator and CO of 4. Brandenburger in 1942. I am depicting him in service dress with medal bar and other awards; not in parade dress.

I was going to show him with the EKI & spange, silver wound badge and close assault badge arranged on the right breast pocket (right from from the perspective of looking at him).

Can you tell me if a WWI wound badge would be updated to the new version with swaz or would he still wear the medal as issued in WWI?.

I presume the most common EKII configuration would be as botton hole ribbon with spange or clasp? Would an EKI medal and clasp be worn as well as an EKII botton ribbon with clasp? Or did the wearer only sport the higher medal?

If worn as above, would both the EK I & II ribbons also appear on the bar? If so, did EK I & II worn on the bar also have 1939 clasps? I presume a reasonable order of precedence for the bar (from left to right) would be: EKI, EKII, Hindenburg Cross with swords, SIlesian eagle, Wehrmacht 4 year ribbon with eagle. Correct?

Thanks for the help so far.

Colin

Edited by ColinRF

Just a quick note as I am busy today at home,

A look through some of the Threads and posts will give you some idea:-

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/33424-identification-of-ribbon-bar/

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/27926-another-interresting-photos/

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/26090-help-identifying-gruppenfuehrer/

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/20326-two-ribbon-bars/

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Thanks a lot to both of you - great to have confirmation that the EKI did not appear on the bar and also ncie to have the mock-up.

Here's a photo of Heinz with a partial of his bar. The first 4 seem to tie to Matt's mock-up - any idea what the rest could be? Generic or foreign awards probably given placement to the right of the Wehrmacht service award.

Thanks again to both of you for taking the time to assist with this somewhat unusual request.

Colin

Edited by ColinRF

I posted a link to my in progress sculpture in the modelling section in case of interest.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/49406-major-friedrich-wilhelm-heinz-in-16-scale/page__view__findpost__p__454233

Colin