News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Possible Unique Pair Q.S.A. & St. Sava

Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen......

For your viewing pleasure......

Possibly a unique pair........

QUEEN’S SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL AND THE ORDER OF ST. SAVA

William Johnson (Johnston) Symes graduated from Durham University in 1900 as a Master of Biology and Surgeon. Shortly after graduation he embarked for South Africa with the Royal Army Medical Corps as a Civilian Surgeon, Temporary Captain. Attached to the South African Field Force he was posted to a General Hospital for fifteen months. For his services he received the Queen’s South Africa Medal with the bars South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902. Upon his return to England he was appointed Honourary Surgeon to Chesterfield and North East Derbyshire Hospitals. He then received an appointment as Medical Superintendent at Douglas House, West Southbourne. He ended his career as an Honourary Staff Member at Bexhill Hospital. In 1920 William Johnson (Johnston) Symes received from the King of Serbia, The Order of St. Sava for services rendered to the Serbian Royal Family.

P.R.O. Reference: WO/100/226

Roll for Civilian Surgeons Signed at the War Office 31st October 1903 by W. Babtie, A.D.G.

Medal Issued: 68/AMC/549

Member: British Medical Association and Diabetic Association

Medical Officer, Foreign Medical Service

Husband of Amy Doris, 2nd Daughter of Sir James B. Ball.

Died March 2nd 1948

Note: There is some confusion as to the spelling of his middle name and the date of the award of the St. Sava.

Mike

Hi - Mike. The word 'unique' is regularly used in the wrong context - however, in this case I would say you must be absolutely right. I suppose he saved someone's life - do you know if it was the King ? Would this be a high enough award for that ? Very special.

Hi - Mike. The word 'unique' is regularly used in the wrong context - however, in this case I would say you must be absolutely right. I suppose he saved someone's life - do you know if it was the King ? Would this be a high enough award for that ? Very special.

Hi Mervyn.......

Yes I know that the word is often missused but you will notice I said Possible..... LOL

I have one source that says it was awarded to him in 1920, and another that says it is for services to the Royal Family in 1934......

Mike

Hi Mervyn.......

Yes I know that the word is often missused but you will notice I said Possible..... LOL

I have one source that says it was awarded to him in 1920, and another that says it is for services to the Royal Family in 1934......

Mike

If it is 1934 then it could relate to the Assassination of Alexander I in Marseilles.

Paul

Hi Mervyn.......

Mike

See Edinburgh Gazette May 11 1920 pp 1240-41 for the award of St. Sava, Temporary Captain RAMC

Paul

Thank You Paul.......

I guess I will have to look now for some WW1 medals......

Mike

A 1914-15 trio. MIC shows theatre as Egypt, and application for Star forwarded by OC 5th Stationary Hospital, 1919.

Middle name spelled "Johnston" on card.