News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New Guards RSM Badge

Back in February 2010, Paul Murphy had a very succesful post on RSM's arm badges. I was watching the Trooping of the Colour this morning, when they mentioned the senior Guards RSM - he was standing by the Queen's saluting dias - had been given a new badge of rank. This is apparantly based on the Victorian version and has 4 stripes with the present coat of arms above.

I'm not sure if he was the Scots Guards RSM or, the Garrison Sgt. Major. I'm sure Paul will be interested and it would be nice to see an illustration and learn a little more about why they have made the change ?

Mervyn

Saw that myself this morning and it was the Garrison Sergeant Major for London District, ( Welsh Guards at present} who was wearing the new version of the old Victorian style arm badge. The Regimental Sergeant Major Scots Guards was wearing the Royal Coat of Arms badge as before and so I believe that only The Garrison Sergeant Major is entitled to wear it. If anyone has a copy of the publication, The diary of Sergeant Mcmillan they will see the Victorian badge in wear in one of the photos. (can't find my copy at the moment!)

Regards Simon

Back in February 2010, Paul Murphy had a very succesful post on RSM's arm badges. I was watching the Trooping of the Colour this morning, when they mentioned the senior Guards RSM - he was standing by the Queen's saluting dias - had been given a new badge of rank. This is apparantly based on the Victorian version and has 4 stripes with the present coat of arms above.

I'm not sure if he was the Scots Guards RSM or, the Garrison Sgt. Major. I'm sure Paul will be interested and it would be nice to see an illustration and learn a little more about why they have made the change ?

Mervyn

Saw that myself this morning and it was the Garrison Sergeant Major for London District, ( Welsh Guards at present} who was wearing the new version of the old Victorian style arm badge. The Regimental Sergeant Major Scots Guards was wearing the Royal Coat of Arms badge as before and so I believe that only The Garrison Sergeant Major is entitled to wear it. If anyone has a copy of the publication, The diary of Sergeant Mcmillan they will see the Victorian badge in wear in one of the photos. (can't find my copy at the moment!)

Regards Simon

Details here http://www.trooping-the-colour.co.uk/gsm/bmott.htm

I was actually in Wellington Barracks a few weeks ago when it was sewn onto Ian Mott's tunic. Approval was given for the Garrison Sergeant Major to wear the RSM rank badge on top of four chevrons, as was done in the Victorian era. The badge is a two part badge using a drum major's four chevron badge inverted, with the normal Guards RSM badge sewn onto it. It is very impressive.

There are no plans to make a single piece badge for this, it will continue to be sewn together from separate chevrons and royal arms.