News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

After some research, it appears that his name is not mentionned on the Rick-Daniel's book about Ernestine Orders during WW1. Therefore the photo shows proof of its existence. And like he was captain during the war he received the first class with swords.

I hope that this clue will help you to find the name of this officer. Good luck

Christophe

Hi!

Very nice picture.

None of the St. Henry, the Ernestine House Order, or the Hanseatic Cross appear in my sources for wartime awards to colonial forces. I would guess that like the 1920-awarded St. Henry, the Ernestine and the Hanseatic Cross were awarded post-war for his actions in 1914. Also, he wasn't promoted to Hauptmann until 1919, retroactive to 1916, and he was already a POW by that time, so the Ernestine may likely be a Knight 2nd Class for actions when he was still a Leutnant.

Some additional information:

Karl Erich Loßnitzer, born in Riesa i. S. on 4. Aug. 1886. Became "von Loßnitzer" when his father, Johannes Claudius Ludwig Loßnitzer (9.5.1848-14.7.1925), was elevated to the Saxe-Coburg & Gotha Adelstand on 19 July 1915 (the Kingdom of Saxony recognized the SCG Adelstand on 4 August 1915).

OLt.: 24.12.14

Hptm.: 28.5.19 mit Patent vom 5.10.16

Maj. (E): 1.8.35

OTL: ? (1939-40 or so)

His father was an Saxon Oberst z.D. and was Direktor der hzgl. Sammlungen auf der Veste Coburg (it is a nice collection; if you are ever near Coburg I suggest a visit). The father commanded the Landsturm-Fußartillerie-Bataillon XII. (K.S.) Armeekorps and then Landsturm-Fußartillerie-Regiment XII.A.K. He had the 1870 EK2 and 1870 Albert Order Knights' Cross with Swords (before the split into two classes) and received the Albert Order Officer's Cross on 11 Jan. 1916.

Erich had three brothers and a sister. Dr. phil. Friedrich Alfred Max (8.11.1897-8.9.1914) was killled by Somme-Py as a Lt.d.R. in SchR 108. Johannes (13.2.1889-5/6.8.1918) was killed in action as a Kaplt. and Luftschiffkommandant. Wilhelm Otto Helmut (10.3.1898-?) was a Saxon Lt.d.R. in an RIR. Elisabeth Marianne (4.5.1893-?) was married in 1917 to Hptm. Kurt von Gilsa of IR 32.

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Dave Danner

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the additional informations, much appreciate. I spoke to Daniel and he told me that he should received the Ernestine and the Hamburg cross after the war like you think.

Otto von Loßnitzer received during the war the following orders and medals : SH3, SV3bX, SA3bX, EH3bX (17/8/1915) HH and both EK. He served in the RIR Nr. 245

Christophe