News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BrigGen Whisner's Ribbon Bar

webr55

Gentlemen,

here's part of a ribbon bar that belonged to Brig. General Emons Whisner (1895-1984). Several of his pieces were sold on ebay some time ago. I tried to grab more, but this was all I got.

Now as this is absolutely outside my normal area of collecting, I have a few questions:

1) Is it correct that the ribbons are WW1 victory, Army of Occupation (of what?), American Defense, Pacific Campaign?

2) Does anyone have more information on him? I only know that he commanded a depot in the Pacific area in 1944.

3) Maybe a photo? Maybe with the rest of his bar?

Thanks

Chris

File3739a.jpg

Edited by webr55

Guest Rick Research

That is the FIRST pattern Army of Occupation ribbon, suggesting actual during-WW2 wear. It was created for the limited American forces in the local Allied military occupation of Germany 1918-23. (Members of the Armistice Commission traveling around looking for "Black Reichswehr" arms caches may also have qualified, I don't know.) He was not a USMA graduate.

The star on the American Defense Medal suggest he was in Hawaii or some such "overseas" posting.

The single star on the PTO ribbon and the star on the Am Def make me think he was at Pearl Harbor.... So, I looked up his bio and what do you know? He was in Hawaii at the time!

Here's his bio:

Whisner, Emons Bertram (1895-1984)

Born Kansas City, KS 24 AUG 1895

Graduate U of MO 1917

Commissioned 2nd LT Inf, 1917

Occupation duty in France & Germany, 1919-1924

Instructor, Infantry School, 1927-28

Aide to Governor General of Philippine Islands 1929-1932

ROTC Instructor Montana State U, U of Iowa and Punahou Academy, Hawaii 1936-42

Secretary to the General Staff at Fort Shafter 1942-44

Commander, Replacement Depot, Pacific Ocean Area and then 23rd Replacement Depot, Hawaii 1944-46 (sounds boring, but HUGE responsibility)

Brig. Gen January 1945

Reverted to Colonel March 1946

Retired as Colonel July 1953.

Decorations included 2x LOM and BSM.

Died 27 September 1984

Source: The Biographical Dictionary of World War II Generals and Flag Officers

Thanks a lot! So he really witnessed Pearl Harbor.

What does it mean that he reverted to Colonel? Rick, you know what I mean, was his Brig.Gen. something like the German "Charakter als" rank?

Edited by webr55

Thanks a lot! So he really witnessed Pearl Harbor.

What does it mean that he reverted to Colonel? Rick, you know what I mean, was his Brig.Gen. something like the German "Charakter als" rank?

During WW2, quite a number of senior officers were temporarily promoted to a more senior grade in order to fill a position or responsibility. Most of these officers kept the temporary rank after the War, particularly if they were in the more junior ranks; quite a few Lt Colonels (and even Colonels) were permanent Captains, but were paid for and wore the more senior grade. I once asked an officer who was a permanent 1st LT and temporary LT Colonel if he reverted back after the War, and he looked at me as if I was crazy! He honestly didn't know that he was still a permanent 1st LT at the time and he continued to wear (and get paid for) service as a LT Colonel until promoting to Colonel years later.

However, the number of general officers is a bit different and is determined by Congress. As a result, we couldn't maintain as many general officers as the War had required on active duty in the immediate post-war years. Thus, a significant number of one and two star generals were demoted to Colonel at the conclusion of the War. Some of those officers eventually were promoted to general officer grades on their own merit later (figure they were good enough to do it the first time, so their chances were pretty good at being promoted) but often many were like General Whisner, who had already served for 30 years and was probably on his "way to pasture" anyway so they just retired at their senior permanent grade.

Hope that makes sense!

Dave

Guest Rick Research

Yup. Rules made by Congress...

where ONE DAY filling in a term grants full lifetime salary pension for ever and ever after. Go figure!

It is GOOD to be the ones making the rules instead of living by them!

Temporary promotions happened in WW1 as well.

Captain in 1917, and by the end of the war a Colonel. In 1920 reverted back to Captain, a month later (or less) promotion to Major and promoted to Lieutenant Colonel 15 or so years later. Ii happened to Patton, Eisenhower, Bradley and others.

Temporary promotions happened in WW1 as well.

Captain in 1917, and by the end of the war a Colonel. In 1920 reverted back to Captain, a month later (or less) promotion to Major and promoted to Lieutenant Colonel 15 or so years later. Ii happened to Patton, Eisenhower, Bradley and others.

Knew a Marine Gunner once, a "mustang" promoted from the ranks who got "downsized" right out of his commission and served another ten years as a senior NCO. He says he used to regularly get saluted first by Lts and Captains who'd been commissioned and served with/under him when he was a Major. :P Go figure!

Peter

Ahhh, I finally found it: These were other parts of Whisner's ribbon bar that was sold on ebay.

I assume these are post-war bars, with the WWII victory medal?

Whisner2.jpg

Edited by webr55

Yes, those are the nice Wolf-Brown plastic ribbons that came out right at the end of the War and were worn through the 1950s.

Dave

Thanks! BTW, is it possible that this is his entire postwar ribbon bar? And that mine at the top of this thread is all he wore before getting the BSM?

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hello Chris,

I am most fortunate to own Brig. Gen Whisner's WWII summer service uniform with complete ribbon bars. I have a small quantity of photos of him as Colonel and Brig. Gen.

You ask about his ribbon bars. Here is how he wore them in the order of top to bottom:

Top row: Legion of Merit w/one OL cluster

Bronze Star

Middle row: WWI Victory

WWI Occupation (Germany)

American Defense w/one bronze star albeit his service record shows "w/Foreign Service

Clasp". Uniform and photos show only star

Bottom row: WWII Victory

Asiatic-Pacific Campaign w/two bronze stars

Chinese breast decoration, Order of Hun Hai worn in ribbon form

Hope this is of some help. Jack

Hello Jack,

thanks very much for the information! So what I have must be his entire earlier bar.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of Gen. Whisner? I'd much appreciate that!

Chris