News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Classification of Colden Kites in 4th and 5th class (An attempt...)

JapanX

• 2 months later...

Nick,

What do you think about this one? Based on this thread, I'm going with Showa Type 7 - do you agree? No case to help out.

Don't need one ;)

This is definitely type 7!

And in a very nice condition I might add!

Can I congratulate you? :)

Well, only partially. I hate having things without cases and rosettes, I'm very much into "completeness", but I thought it too nice to pass up. The problem is knowing which case is appropriate for it, should one ever become available (not a replica one!) - assuming latest style of kanji in silver, or the gold predecessor to that. Still, no way of knowing and keeping 100% true.

There was a gent selling a 5th Class wrapper and rosette only on eBay this past week. I thought about getting those, but passed them up. I contacted him and the rosette had no hallmarks, so I didn't know if it was repro or not. Thinking about it though, even if the rosette had a mark (I'd assume it would have been "SU"....), still no guarantees that it'd be a TRUE match. Oh well. I should just not worry about it.

Grumbler!

Congratulations! :beer:

P.S. I think the box with the silver kanji on the lid will be the safest choice ;)

The Grumbler - My new nick-name? I like it, catchy!

Thanks!

And I would like to get a case to protect it at some point, so if a silver kanji one comes up, I'll try for that one.

• 10 years later...

All kites belong to the 1895-1910s time period.

Second medal bar (with Dragon of Annam) looks very nice

First medal bar (with two kites) almost certainly a modern compilation /the "base" could be original by both kites were added later).

Thank you Nick. 

To the group with two kites - do you tell it by the thickness of the yellow veines on the shields? I thought that the birds themselves are like showa. 

And to the 2nd bar - can it be that the recipient served to get both annam and Sawa?

Ok, and the chance that the 2nd one is real?

One more thing, have you made similar thread on recognizing sacred treasures from the exact periods? I remember the one on length of the vein on leaf in rising sun, very informative.

Many thanks in advance.

Hello Aniki,

On this forum JapanX has a thread examining the time coordinates for flat reverse, four rivet reverse, and two screw reverse Sacred Treasures. See https://gmic.co.uk/topic/58229-sacred-treasures-with-flat-reversetwo-screws-reverse-when-this-change-occurred/#comment-541641

I've also seen reference to generalized dating of OSTs by the shape of the mirror.

Hopefully JapanX will jump in on this.

All the best,

Tracy

21 hours ago, Aniki said:

Ok, and the chance that the 2nd one is real?

Chance is close to 100 percent.

P.S. A little correction to an old thread that Tracy mentioned above. All "flat reverse" sacred treasures belong to the 1960s-1981 time period. Although there are documented groups with this order variation that are formally awarded in 1944 /and even in 1943/ but in fact they were all issued during early 1960s /post-war awardings/.  

One more thing guys. I've asked about it some time ago,but maybe it just went unnoticed. 

Is there any proof that a soldier wore 2 lower kites, 6th and 7th together?

R

We don`t need any proof since it is inside the 1942 regulation.

He was not obliged to wear both, but could wear both.

Edited by JapanX

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn’t resist jumping on this thread with my Golden Kite 5th Class. After reading this thread I’m confident that my example is a Type 7.1 Showa. The kanji on the case is silver.

Tracy

Obverse:

Kite 5th Class Obv.jpg

Reverse:

Kite 5th Class Rev.jpg

Close-up of the Kite:

Kite 5th Class Kite 1 Larger.jpg

Case lid. The harsh light totally washed out the color of the kanji, but it is silver:

Kite 5th Class Case Lid.jpg

• 2 weeks later...