News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

hello, i acquired a medal bar that belonged to Hermann Friese. he was an officer in the Navy as he recieved the prussian 25 year service cross. is there any way to research him? where could i find any information about him?

thanks

john

here is somemore information translated from the documents that come with the medal bar:

The first document details the award of the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer (Cross of Honour / Hindenburg Cross) for serevice in WW1 to a former member of the Navy who was currently employed as an official of the Reichsbank in Munchen Gladbach. Due to the millions of these medals being awarded it took years for them all to get processed.

The second sheet covers his actual service.,taken from his paybok details in order to prove his entitlement. As you will see, he joined the Navy as a young man in 1906 as part of the Ship's Youth detachtment. It goes on to list all the ships he served on, the Charlotte, the Medusa, the Burgermeister, the Seeadler, the Dfr Prinzregent u. Brandenburg, the Von der Tann, u. Schwaben, the Konig Wilhelm, the Viktoria Luise. These will be fairly easy to research. It then goes on to list his ranks and finally his awards, EKII, Long service cross etc.

He served throughout WW1 and was discharged in 1921

John,

I think it highly unlikely he was a commissioned officer during his WW1 service. He is not listed in the Marine Ehrenrangliste and his entry as a ships' boy was not the normal route for a young man aspiring to a naval officers' commission. He may have been granted a commission on his discharge depending on his rank in 1921. What ranks are shown in the documentaion you have?

Regards

Glenn