News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Army 1919 award document trio

RobW

To all,

Here is a small set of documents I recently obtained to the same Army gentleman.

His details are: Senior Private Nakayama Kiroku, Army Engineering Corps.

Many thanks to Paul Murphy for translating these documents for me. :) :)

Of note is the third and smaller document which I originally thought came with the 1914-20 War Medal. As Paul identified it is actually a smaller award document which awarded the recipient the Rising Sun 8th class and 250 yen for merit. It was supposed to come with a larger certificate of the actual Rising Sun award.

This larger Rising Sun certificate was not in the group. I post these pics and information in the hope that if anyone else sees this gentleman's Rising Sun certificate for sale, or any other certificates to the same person, that they let me know so that I can attempt a re-unite.

I know that this is often a lost cause but any chance at a re-unite is better than none.

Regards,

Rob

Here are the pics. The first two certificates have been truncated on the top and bottom slightly as they were just a little larger than my scanner. All the relevant detail is there.

The award certificate for the 1914-20 War Medal. (Serial number: 37,507).

Edited by RobW

The smaller award certificate with 250 yen reward for the Rising Sun 8th Class.

For those that can actually read Kanji any further context on what the Rising Sun was awarded for, and on what date etc... would be appreciated. It will give me some more context behind the person. Researching such individuals is always a challenge.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

The date for the Rising Sun is the same as the others - December 15th, 8th year of Taisho (1919). This is really interesting I have a pair of the same documents to the same person (not the same person as you of course!!) the campaign document # is 38,010 and the victory medal doc. # is 37,551 - difference being 459. Yours shares a difference of 457. Huh. (Same dates of issue.) Sorry, these small irrelevancies fascinate me!! :lol: So it looks like the victory medals are slightly off to the campaign medals. I wonder what factors play into the discrepancies - perhaps simultaneous issuing of medals with the 1914-15 war medal? The other ones I have for either medal were issued on November 1st, Taisho 9th year. Anybody have any other dates of issue on these??

Rob, always admirable to attempt to reassemble groups like this. Like you said, hard to do, but I will certainly keep my eyeballs peeled.

Here's an idea - on the Japanese gun collector forums, there is a pinned thread dedicated to the matching of bolts for people to attempt to get the correct bolt back to the correct rifle as a large number of them were mixed up. I think this would be a heart idea for this forum too in an attempt for others to seek out missing documents, etc.