News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brass Helmet of the 5th Princess Charlotte of Wales Royal Dragoon Guards

Hey guys,

It was suggested I post this over here for some help from Stuart. I picked this up at auction, actually left an absentee bid and don't have it in my possession yet although I did win it.

It is my first foray into this type of headgear and admit I know nothing about it. Was hoping someone could clue me in a little to what it is, what plume I need to complete it, where to find such a plume, etc. Also any good reference sites or books that you can recommend would be great.

jhol - I am afraid Stuart is no longer on this Forum. However, we have a number of helmet experts and I am sure they will be able to help.

I am possibly wrong , but at first glance it looks as if a few alterations may have been made. The plume holder usually rises where the spike is.

The Dragoon Regts. are heavy cavalry and their officers have gold plated helmets in order to be seen in the dust of battle. This appears to be an officer's - but, I am not sure about the badge. If you go to the bottom of this page I illustrated the breakdown of an officer's helmet.

We will wait for the experts to give their opinions.

The book I recommend is 'Head Dress of the British Heavy Cavalry', by David Rowe. Published by Schiffer Military History. You often see it on us ebay, and I think I got mine from Amazon. Great photos and illustrations and a lots of information - a quality item. This is an 1871 trooper's helmet to 5th Dragoon Guards. The plate and liner are those of a trooper's, not an officer's helmet. Mervyn is right that it should have a plume holder, with a white over red plume. It should be a brass helmet, with the plate, as this one has, having a white star and numeral and the garter surrounding the numeral in brass. I knew somebody a few years ago who made me a couple of plumes. I don't know if he's still active and I don't want to put his name in the posting, so send me a pm and I'll give you the details.

Mine is below

2009_1121logs30045.jpg

Patrick

Hi Mervyn and Patrick,

Thanks for the information and feedback. I have contacted the plumery and am working on getting a replacement plume holder and plume. They are beautiful helmets and I will be picking up the suggested reference material as I find myself interested in this area of collecting now.

OH come on Jeff, If you won' use his darned thing for an airsoft target....then lets light it up with the Bren. LMAO.. I know nothing about this helmet, but dang she sure is pretty. You really have to bring it with you next time we meet up. (I'll be sure to bring the Bren)