News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Gents,

This one came in the post today!

A lovely single Mecklenberg cross

unfortunately it has been sewn on back to front...( i was led to understand that the FF was to the front...)

It was touch and go as the seller did not show a pic of the reverse of the bar, and i was sweating a bit ...thinking that it was pirated from a medal bar and would not have the felt backing i so desire...

But alls well that ends well...as i when i got it today...i was pleasantly surprised to see that it had a nice grey cloth backing, yum yum!

The cross also appears to have been sewn down to the bottom of the ribbon as there is some gold thread still there but the medal has come unattached from the thread and hangs loosley.

The cross itself is in very good condition... :)

How many of these were awarded? and how many of the first class were awarded?

Thanks Gents

Kind regards

Paul

Paul,

Nice score. I have a great weakness for anything from Mecklenburg (both Schwerin and Strelitz), and I find the crosses hard to resist.

None of mine are mounted back-to-front like yours, but it is not unusual to see Iron Crosses and various other awards with the reverse showing. It has been suggested that this has something to do with an expression of disappointment over the passing of the empire. That may be the case, but the former proud owner may just have preferred to emphasise the message relating to decoration.

I recently acquired a cross that has polished lettering on both the front and back. It is something I haven't noticed on any others, but I will check to see whether the others have just dulled a little over the years. You should be able to see if yours has this finish quite easily.

David

Ahhhhhhh, our Foreign Friends. I forget... A "Jones" is an American Slang for addiction, or "Monkey on the back" that you just can't get rid of...... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah you got it bad!

(Pardon my poor engleesh)