News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

here is one that has me foxed can you guys help anywhere young boy many entries in 45 gas test in dresden 27 01 45 he was born 15 11 1928 so about the 17 yo mark what was his unit and where was he allso there is a russian phrase book so they must have been expecting them

Hello Doug,

I can't make out much but it looks like Siegfried was in the artillery. The pink piece of paper has what appears to be the names of towns in the Dresden area e.G. Pirna (SE of Dresden) and Meissen (NW of Dresden). Maybe he was taking notes of where people were going to or coming from. The times is also noted.

One of the words looks like V?geln to me but I'm quite sure he didn't have time for that. It's probably another town nearby.

I'm sure some of the better German readers will be able to help you more.

Tony

Edited by Tony

Can't read much of it but here goes.

Born 15.11.28 in ??????

Religion roman catholic? Profession Reichsbahn something

Pistol - Walther

The unit is AE u AA (Artillery Ersatz und Ausbildungsabteilung) stationed at present in Cold??????

That's about all I can read, some of which may be corrected later.

Tony

One of the words looks like V?geln to me but I'm quite sure he didn't have time for that. It's probably another town nearby.

Bit of a Freudian slip, Tony? :cheeky:

The name of the town is D?beln.

Since the inside front cover also features some Russian handwriting and he was in the Dresden area towards the end of the war, he probably ended up in the Soviet sector and had the Cyrillic alphabet sheet as part of learning to live with the new order.

Interesting Soldbuch!

My wifes great uncle was 16 in 45 and pulled in to the Army, also near Dresden.

When he and his pimply face colleagues were on the march none other than diehard Sch?rner stopped to speak to their column. He used to say Sch?rner was shocked to see such young boys in uniform and delibrately send them away from the front, the field marschall himself showing the Leutnant ot captain where he should go on the map. Albrecht (the great uncle) had a pair of boots that were falling apart. Sch?rner gave him his own pair of extra boots from the trunk of his car before continuing on (!!!!!).

he was so young the Russians just gave him a kick in the pants and sent him home.

Guest Rick Research

That would also appear the case here. The focus on these scans is troublesome (my eyes get no younger) but the notation under his photo is something to the effect that per Decree #2... something about 9th District of Dresden (presumably verified as a resident and allowed to be there) and signed by a Junior Lieutenant Z.....