News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some letters start a suprising research project

It all started with me looking through my collection and found a couple of letters from 1914-1915 , since long time forgotten.

They where sent from a Max Höfter in Mun Kol Abt 8 , and there I could start ;)

A search on Ancestry gave me Jackpot !

Max Höfter joined 7 Bayr FeldArt Rgt in 1910 as Einjahrfreiw

August 1st he become Uoffz and in the end of September 1911 Offz Aspir

In August 1912 he was promoted to Vize-Wachtmeister and in November 1914 he was Leutn dR

At the end of war in August 1918 he was promoted to OberLeutnant dR

He was awarded the EK II Aug 6th 1915 , BMVO IV x Aug 12th 1915 and EK I Oct 18 1918.

He fought mostly at the Eastern front but also in Verdun and left the Army 31th Dec 1918

End of story ?..... No not quit , I kept on looking for Max Höfter and found him again, this time in a grave :(

Max Höfter is buried in München after being killed at Petershausen April 28th 1945 He had then the rank of OberstLeutnant. So Max joinded the Wehrmacht and was killed during the last days of his second war.

But what happened those last days in April 1945 in this area ? Petershausen in probably more known by its close neighbour Dachau who US troops liberated April 29 1945.

I have no reason to belive that Max Höfter had anything to do with the camp,but I cant find anything written about fighting going on in this area at this date. Does anyone know what German forces that was in the area in late April 1945 ?

A strange story and I will probably never get the answer ..........

Christer