News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Fusiliers member

Gents

Help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I've never really known anything about my Grandfather but have recently discovered some items on Ancestry. It seems as though he never made it to Europe in WW1 as he was accidentally killed during a fight in camp in Southampton. The newspaper headlines are reproduced below.

His short enlistment papers (below) show that he was 12 years with the Royal Fusiliers, discharged in 1903 before joining the ASC. I can find no information as to his service, only that he married while on leave on Christmas Day 1899.

Can anyone direct me to where I can get some further info or does anyone already have these records? It'd be nice to find out a little more about him.

Thought I'd got the sizing wrong on the picture but it's the Chairman's clever do-da thingy he's sorted on the pictures. You need to click on the picture to see the correct size so you can read it :lol:

Here's a copy of my Granny's accepting note for his Death Plaque and scroll. Items I'd obviously like to own but probably will never find.

Thanks in advance Gents

Spaz

Steve - what date was he killed ? I'm very surprised that a Death Plaque was issued. Contact Hampshire Police HQ

I think they are in Winchester now. Southampton, at the time of his death was an independent Borough Police Force -

however, I expect all of their records were transferred to HQ on amalgamation. There may well be additional information

on file. Mervyn

Mervyn

I already have most of the records (for those that are interested they are available on Ancestry, there's quite a few pages). I'll post some of the more interesting ones below. Funny how my Dad mentioned a couple of times that my Granddad was murdered by having a tent peg hammered through his head (sorry about it being a bit graphic) and never really said much more. Seems as though there was probably more to the story. He was killed on 29 November 1914.

I was quite surprised when I found these records that (sort of) confirmed what my Dad said. I was totally unaware of any previous service within the Fusiliers though and would be interested to find more.

Edited by Spasm

Woolwich Dockyard headquarters were obviously interested in the outcome of the court case as here's the telegram informing them of the jury's verdict

Edited by Spasm

Ah, there's another bit of mystery that I've just found out. He was minus 8 !!!!! I think he must have been the milkman's as he was born in 1922. I'm still on the trail of that one.

I expect to find out that I'm an orphan and my real name is Oliver :P

Edited by Spasm