News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal Accoutrements and services

Richard LaTondre

I think that it would be of service for some of us if we had a directory of services available for collectors of medals that are in need of certain replacement items or services such as enamel restoration etc.

I was going through some of my miscellaneous drawers yesterday and noticed that I had a beautiful third class order of the auspicious clouds that had become separated from its ribbon (neck cravat) and attachment accessories.

I would think that there would be dealers in Japan (or elsewhere) that might sell such items. Or maybe they would be available at the Osaka mint (where this one originated) I do not know of any such sources. Are there any that could be available to us? Thanks for reading this.

Richard

www.thegoldenkite.com

I have seen dealers in Japan selling replacement ribbons, but they are always at a high price. I'm not sure where their source is...

The Japan Mint (not Osaka Mint) never made the ribbons or the cases, so of course they wouldn't make replacements. And although they make replacement medals for lost ones (with proof of the award), the price is quite high. (BTW, the same goes for miniatures, which the Japan Mint makes for those with the main medals.)

And attachment accessories? Well, I cannot believe the Japan Mint would have any parts available for an order that was abolished in 1945.

Sorry for a response full of negatives!

A little add on Gents.

Even if Japan Mint indeed made these replacement ribbons and attachment accessories, then the only way to replace holding ring for the neck ribbon (without cutting it) will be to send the order to the Mint. These holding rings for 3rd class badges... They are blind... :)

As for the replacement ribbons (with clasp) for manchu orders - they are out there, but pretty rare, usually wraped in filigree and packed in rectangular boxes of light yellow color.

Best regards,

Nick

P.S. Nice drawers you have Richard! :lol:

Hi Nick,

That is a positive input Thanks.

I have some Japanese medals, I should check the time period, that appear to have been issued, case and all with no hardware whatsoever. The ends of the cravat or neck sash were cut on the border of the red stripe for a distance of about 7 inches (18 cm), and they were tied behind the neck. As to your comment about my drawers, have you been talking to my ex? She is over there you know. So be on alert!

Richard

www.thegoldenkite

As to your comment about my drawers, have you been talking to my ex? She is over there you know. So be on alert!

It was actually a compliment ;)

But you are sure right - one always should be on alert with these ex's and especially with ante's :lol:

Cheers,

Nick

I was just informed that exactly what I need is currently for sale.

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w71120210#

Exactly as described... :)

For other ribbons, Zeljko at Ribbonsshop is a good place to start.

He's very helpful and has a wide range of original and replacement ribbons. Sometimes, you might be lucky to find a similar ribbon belonging to another Order.

http://www.ribbonsshop.com/

Gavin

Thanks for the tip Gavin.

Regards,

Nick

The Japan Mint (not Osaka Mint) never made the ribbons or the cases, so of course they wouldn't make replacements. And although they make replacement medals for lost ones (with proof of the award), the price is quite high. (BTW, the same goes for miniatures, which the Japan Mint makes for those with the main medals.)

I know this is getting outside of the realm of rational possibility, but would this extend to a family member that had inherited a medal or must it literally be the recipient (like a really old veteran!)? Can they reissue say a Golden Kite, or is this limited to what is still current issue like the Rising Sun/Sacred Treasure?