News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Custom made ribbons

Gents,

After pulling my hair out trying to find replacement ribbons for some obscure Orders, does anyone know of companies that do custom-made ribbons?

I've tried asking around and the minimum order always seems to be 100 metres! :o

I've tried matching ribbons from other medals but as you'd know, the shade is always a touch too light, the white stripes too narrow, etc, etc ...

Any pointers gratefully received.

Gents,

After pulling my hair out trying to find replacement ribbons for some obscure Orders, does anyone know of companies that do custom-made ribbons?

I've tried asking around and the minimum order always seems to be 100 metres! :o

I've tried matching ribbons from other medals but as you'd know, the shade is always a touch too light, the white stripes too narrow, etc, etc ...

Any pointers gratefully received.

Gavin

I know it's a very long shot have you tried the OMSA ribbon bank to see if they have anything suitable or know someone who can produce a sensible length.

Paul

zeljko.toussaint@st.tel.hr.com manufactures ribbon to 1970s-80s Rothe type standard. Several years ago, for sash widths, the minimum length was 45 or 50 meters--enough for 17-21 sashes depending on individual length & bow style. Cost was about 100 euros per sash. He also could do 33-35 mm wide ribbon and would do 50 meters minimum--price was slightly less than sashes. He now has an internet shop and sells via eBay.

A German dealer orden@german-military.de has a wide variety of ribbon stock, international as well as German items. Sometimes, however, it is difficult to communicate with him.

Thanks Paul and 922F.

I'd earlier left a message with the OMSA ribbon bank and waiting for a reply. You never know, might be lucky.

I've bought some ribbons from Zeljko, who has been very helpful. The cost of commissioning a minimum 50 metres of sash or ribbon from Zeljko or another seller is probably prohibitive. Could well end up holding a single $600 medal and $5000 worth of ribbon ...

I'm checking for home sewing / weaving machine which you could program to makde ribbons. A different process is involved (weaving as opposed to stitching). You'd think that if they could churn these out 150 years ago in a backroom with a hand operated loom, there'd be a home machine in the 21th century age of mass consumerism and technolog you could buy.

Will keep hunting.

Edited by drclaw