News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1907 Lee Enfield - Again .............

Mervyn Mitton

These days one of the most often shown bayonets is the .303 Lee Enfield. There is a reason

for this - they were the 1st World War bayonet - and most have a date from this period. They

also continued to see World Wide service until the shorter version was introduced for WW2.

The only reason i'm showing another one , is because of the attractive way it has been mounted and preserved.

They are getting harder to find in good condition and prices have gone up accordingly.

This one has a cut-out of a varnished plywood behind the hilt and scabbard and has been given

an overall coat of a thin varnish. This could be easily cleaned-off, but has preserved the leather. I think

this simple mount would look good on any wall.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Helo Mervyn,

For some reason I never get tired of these being posted and this one is an excellent example of mounting a speciment for show.

Ah, for the days when these went for .99 cents with scabbard and a mint example would set one back a staggering $1.50 Canadian. Of course $1.50 was a considerable amount for a young fellow working for .35 cents an hour. Those were the days. :rolleyes:

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch! And "Ouch" again!

The musuem curator part of me cringes at the idea of varnishing steal and leather. Our bible's first commandment is "Thou shalt not do anything thou canst undo!" Wax, which can be polished off, is as permanent as musuems are permitted to get. Even oil is frowned on, as it draws dust and roots leather - even the 'leather preservative' kind, in time.

"Ouch" again at "$1.50". I'm am slipping my toes gingerly into the vast sea of World War 1 living history, just ahead of the centenary of the great horror. $750.00 gets me a very nice made to measure uniform - and my $15.00 an hour post-retirement job will pay for it eventually. I too recall the days of the endless supply of cheap .303s, many over here turned into hunting rifles by butchering a few pounds of wood from the stock. Now, to get a pukka SMLE and bayonet in decent fireable condition may cost as much again as the uniform. In other words, I'll get it paid for just in time for August 2014. :(

Thank goodness all the other kit is being 're-popped' for odd bods like myself. One can even buy reproduction 1914 era French postcards. And I don't mean shots of the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame Cathedral either! :blush:

Peter

Hi - Peter. Have you been away, haven't seen you for a while ? Museums can lay down as many rules as they

like - items that are not behind glass need preservation. This overall varnish is a thin one and has preserved

the scabbard and hilt well. I don't think it would be difficult to get off.

You must tell us about any weaponry in your museum ? Mervyn

Ouch! And "Ouch" again!

The musuem curator part of me cringes at the idea of varnishing steal and leather. Our bible's first commandment is "Thou shalt not do anything thou canst undo!" Wax, which can be polished off, is as permanent as musuems are permitted to get. Even oil is frowned on, as it draws dust and roots leather - even the 'leather preservative' kind, in time.

"Ouch" again at "$1.50". I'm am slipping my toes gingerly into the vast sea of World War 1 living history, just ahead of the centenary of the great horror. $750.00 gets me a very nice made to measure uniform - and my $15.00 an hour post-retirement job will pay for it eventually. I too recall the days of the endless supply of cheap .303s, many over here turned into hunting rifles by butchering a few pounds of wood from the stock. Now, to get a pukka SMLE and bayonet in decent fireable condition may cost as much again as the uniform. In other words, I'll get it paid for just in time for August 2014. :(

Thank goodness all the other kit is being 're-popped' for odd bods like myself. One can even buy reproduction 1914 era French postcards. And I don't mean shots of the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame Cathedral either! :blush:

Peter

I was quite lucky when i purchase my SMLE back in 2002 i paid $150 for it 1918 dated with full wood a nice little shooter. I bought a nice decent repro uniform from a film company in Calgary for $80 came with tunic, pants, boots, and helmet. They were clearing out there warehouse about 2 years ago. Makes a nice display.

Cheers

Chris