News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Gents,

I bought this bar on e-bay and it had a Signum Memoriale medal in place of the Bavarian 9year service medal.

So i set about finding a 9 year medal, fortunately they are rather common, and to find a ribbon for the signum memoriale medal.

I was lucky here in NZ and found a whole lot of ribbons . which i have shown here before.

Here is the Bavarian bar restored to its former glory and the signum with a new ribbon( original ribbon i might add) and a Hungarian commemorative which i was able to find a ribbon in the Lot i found.

Enjoy!

Kind regards

Paul

( way.....down the slippery slope....Hellllp meeee.......!)

NO CRITICSMS IMPLIED: But I am just trying to understand the different ethics and standards by which different phaleristic sub-castes function. Is this sort of "restoration" seen as OK (= kosher) in Imperial German circles? This sort of thing would get Imperial British medal collectors all a-twitter, in a major way.

Always curious . . . .

Hi Ed, always a touchy subject. I think the purist wants it just the way it was when found. Wrong, damaged, etc. However the realist wants the correct medal hanging on that hook. Since one Bavarian 9-Year LSM is the same as any other Bavarian 9-Year LSM...... see what I mean? But, Imperialists also do not like replacement ribbons. Ewww! Glowing ribbon? Ewwwwe. But. A loose Bulgarian WW1 medal hung back on an original tri-fold? No big deal. loose anything mated with a correct period ribbon, well. OK for many.

There will always be 2 sides to this street. I would submit that IMO, if one is not faking named/numbered/ID'd medals; If one only brings life back to loose pieces by mating them with strictly original bars and materials, that one is preserving history, not really altering it. However, made whole out of pure parts in fantasy combinations/mimicing what we know to be real. that is evil and deceptive in the worst way. Yuck!

No this is what makes our "hobby" (what a LITTLE word) so interesting. In my main field, replacing ribbons is so common . . . you vuddun't beleef . . . but if it glows for Imperialoids, oy!!!!!!!!!!!

Just trying to wrap my shrinking brain around it all.

Guest Brian von Etzel

Nice job Paul, what was broken is now nicely fixed.

I have several friends in Canada with relatives with large British medalbars. I was quite horrified to find out it is quite the normal thing to take them in and get them refitted with new ribbons, the medals cleaned, etc. I saw the before and after and I liked the before much better. A little dirty and soiled as last owned.

This entirely different, you've restored nicely.

Thanks Stogie...for the kind words.

Also Brian too... like Stogie says...i just wanted to see the correct medal hanging on the bar and as for the other two...well they kinda looked naked without the ribbon....and when the ribbon group came up...i jumped at the chance to make them whole again....

Ed. i can see how the Brit collectors get all in a twiddle...especially when WWI brit stuff is named... but rest assured i would NEVER make up groups like some scumbags out there would....its just plain criminal...unless these groups are presented as made up to honour a soldier where the originals have been lost....or stolen... etc..

Kind regards

Paul