News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mukden incident medal - Mint mark?

marrauder

This one was sold on eBay two times higher than average prize. What was the reason? This mint mark?

(I didn´t win, I just want to know it for future).

Edited by marrauder

The possible reasons

1) pure unblended madness

2) this is the first Japanese item in the collection of the winner

3) buyers were too competitive + got too exited

In my profession they call this "Winner's Curse"! (for brief introduction see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winner's_curse)

Cheers,

Nick

So, it is not mint mark? I haven´t anything like this on my Mukden piece...

Thanks for wikipedia info, but I am protected against eBay fever by 24% custom taxes and by the fact that for me japan auctions usually end 2-4 o´clock a.m.

So I always put my price evening before the end of auctions - and in the morning I am sometimes very positively surprised.

So, it is not mint mark? I haven´t anything like this on my Mukden piece...

As far as I know these medals don't have any mint marks.

... by the fact that for me japan auctions usually end 2-4 o´clock a.m.

Around 4-6 o´clock a.m. by Moscow time ... hehehe ;)

This one was sold on eBay two times higher than average prize. What was the reason? This mint mark?

(I didn´t win, I just want to know it for future).

Are you talking about the small circle on the grip? This is not a mint mark. I have a few of these medals and they all have this mark as do China Incident medals. How much did it sell for? There is a thread about high-priced, common medals somewhere here. I don't question a buyer's motives, but I suspect strong DRUGS are involved in some cases...... :lol:

Are you talking about the small circle on the grip? This is not a mint mark. I have a few of these medals and they all have this mark as do China Incident medals.

Actually these small circles are traces from press ;)

Yes, Dieter, you are right, I checked my Mukden again and there really is that circle trace on the suspension - although not so clearly defined as on this medal. So now I completely don´t understand why somebody gave 76 dollars + 17 shipping (+ customs, I suppose) for this. I bought mine for 40 in top condition. 40 dollars is also slightly above average, but it was still under 30 euros, which is limit for custom taxes here (if the item costs less than 30 euros, I don´t have to pay 24% taxes).

So, for me, this medal would be 76+17+cca 18 = 111 dollars. Omg.

Check this out chaps!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPANESE-ARMY-MANCHURIAN-INCIDENT-MEDAL-WAR-CHINA-RARE-MUKDEN-PRE-WW2-WW1-NAVY-/110857899172?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cfa54ca4#ht_6642wt_689

Guess some sellers figure out that "special angle" is the key to success :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, Dieter, you are right, I checked my Mukden again and there really is that circle trace on the suspension - although not so clearly defined as on this medal. So now I completely don´t understand why somebody gave 76 dollars + 17 shipping (+ customs, I suppose) for this. I bought mine for 40 in top condition. 40 dollars is also slightly above average, but it was still under 30 euros, which is limit for custom taxes here (if the item costs less than 30 euros, I don´t have to pay 24% taxes).

So, for me, this medal would be 76+17+cca 18 = 111 dollars. Omg.

Oh, I've seen a lot worse.....!! Russo-Japan War medal, average condition for $130.00+ if memory serves correctly, and junk Great East Asia War replicas going in excess of $200.00!!! Stop doing drugs people!!! And do your research!!

Check this out chaps!

http://www.ebay.com/...4#ht_6642wt_689

Guess some sellers figure out that "special angle" is the key to success :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like somebody attempted a polishing job, and it isn't very good!

I think this dealer believes in repeated miracles :lol:

Let's wait and see if he is right ;)

I think he is a she!!

He is she, Dieter, for sure. Sometimes you can see her face (partially covered with camera) mirroring in the highly polished lacquer box of some Rising Sun medal.

130 dolls for Russo-Japanese piece? This is really extreme. You outbid me, hehe. And was it 0,99 dollar auction, or Buy now?

Edited by marrauder

Well it was sold for 52

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPANESE-ARMY-MANCHURIAN-INCIDENT-MEDAL-WAR-CHINA-RARE-MUKDEN-PRE-WW2-WW1-NAVY-/110857899172?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cfa54ca4&autorefresh=true#ht_6569wt_714

Still way too high...

But it is definitely no miracle.

Maybe this time? :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPANESE-ARMY-MANCHURIAN-INCIDENT-MEDAL-WAR-CHINA-RARE-MUKDEN-PRE-WW2-WW1-NAVY-/110862554677?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D110857899172%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7757524952876225351#ht_9002wt_689

He is she, Dieter, for sure. Sometimes you can see her face (partially covered with camera) mirroring in the highly polished lacquer box of some Rising Sun medal. 130 dolls for Russo-Japanese piece? This is really extreme. You outbid me, hehe. And was it 0,99 dollar auction, or Buy now?

Not me! No amount of crack could convince me to pay $130.00 for that medal unless it could PROVEN to belong to a big name or something like that.

It was just joke - You outbid me in seeing bigger "miracle" as Nick calls it. I know you didn´t buy it, as well as I didn´t buy that expensive Mukden medal.

Eeeh, I noticed it sooner, hard knock life to be the joker between collectors...

Maybe this time? :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPANESE-ARMY-MANCHURIAN-INCIDENT-MEDAL-WAR-CHINA-RARE-MUKDEN-PRE-WW2-WW1-NAVY-/110862554677?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D110857899172%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7757524952876225351#ht_9002wt_689

Nope...

"Only" 43,45$

Are we running out of dope?

Looks like now everybody has its Mukden. Time to wait for new collectors, hehe.

Naaaaa

It's time for China Incident rebranding :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WW2-Japanese-China-Incident-War-Medal-Nice-Condition-No-Reserve-/300696679345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4602eb33b1#ht_955wt_689