News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US High School/College Class rings..do you still wear yours?

Jonas - with just that brief post you have told us something that probably few people knew about !

I think the whole subject of rings is interesting - and has such historical connections. One has to

consider the Church signet rings - Papal and for Bishops in other denominations. They represent the

wearer's authority with-in his Church and are generally 'kisssed' as a sign of respect.

An English gentleman always wore a signet ring - usually with the family arms engraved. This was normally

worn on the small finger of the right hand. When people could commonly recognise coats-of-arms it was

a way for the wearer to be recognised. The indentation of the ring into a wax seal - when most gentlemen could

not write a signature - was legally binding. This was latter used on letters - when they were folded and held

by the wax. Hence the ring on the right small finger as it could be pressed easily.

People today seem scared to wear symbols like this - everyone wants to be part of the 'pack' and not stand out.

The only person that I know who is proud of his Arms is Robin. My Family have Arms and my Father wore a

family ring - but, I don't. Our family motto is "Semper Fidelis". It means Always Faithful and only six families

in Britain have it's use. You will recognise it as the American Marines - 'Semper Fi'. I think they should pay

a copyright ?

Anyway, what I'm suggesting is that we enlarge on the US Class rings - and consider other heraldry from around

the Globe ? Mervyn

My university ring - St. Michael's College, University of Toronto. Crest both sides, B.A. and 1974.

I bought this in 1981, when I was back on campus.

My son Sean graduated last year fron St, Mike's, and my mother in 1934. No rings we know about.

I don't wear it, but I put it on today. A bit tight on my right ring finger, but I got it off again with a bit of difficulty.

Michael

Edited by Michael Johnson

I never got a HS ring. As an Army BRAT I went to three high schools in four years! Started in France, continued in California and graduated in Georgia. :mad: I did get some HS sports letters (Tennis and Rifle Team) but that was it.

Ed

Had a high school ring, acquired in Grade 13 - Ontario was the odd place out for years in having 5 years of high school instead of 4 - in Sudbury, Ontario. Silver, with a red 'stone', the school crest, modelled on that of the priests of the Order of St. Basil, who ran it, and a cardinal, our school team name. Gave it to my first university sweet heart and never got it back. :angry: But then, it probably wouldn't fit me now.

Had to spend 1/2 hour getting my wedding ring off before hand surgery last month. It hadn't been off in at least a decade and I got it re-sized should the need ever arise again, though in fact I never do take it off and felt no need to until the surgeon insisted.

I think the class/school ring is a nice idea. My father taught for some years at St Francis Xavier University in Nova Scotia [Canada]. "FX" grads wear a silver ring with a large blue enamel 'X' on it and can identify each other and be IDed across a room!