News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown shoulder boards - who knows more?

Thanks Larry. I did find this photo(google images). I could not find any evidence of WRN(?) officers wearing shoulder boards.

This information was found on Wiki:

Branch Distinction Cloth

(1863–1955) Buttons

(1832–1891) Masters (until 1867) Light Blue 9 evenly spaced Masters (after 1867) None 3 groups of 3 (on double breasted coat) Surgeons Red 3 groups of 3 Pursers/accounting White 4 groups of 2 Engineering (from 1853) Purple 2 groups of 4 Instructors (from 1879) & schoolmasters (from 1917) Light Blue 9 evenly spaced Shipwrights (from 1884) Silver Grey Wardmaster

(medical assistants) (from 1918) Maroon till 1951, then salmon-pink Electrical (from 1918) Dark Green Ordnance (1918–1950) Dark Blue Dentists (from 1924) Orange

In 1955 it was announced[1] that the distinction cloth worn between the stripes of officers of the non-executive branches of the Royal Navy was to be abolished, except for those who must be clearly recognisable as non-combatant under the Geneva Convention.

The residual use of distinction cloth for non-combatants is therefore:

• Scarlet - medical
    • Orange - dental
    • Salmon pink - wardmasters (to 1993)
    • Silver grey - civilian officers from Royal Corps of Naval Constructors - RCNC [2]
    • Dark green - civilian officers when required to wear uniforma