News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown medal

usairforce

Is this example legit?

Yep.

This is частник / private workshop.

Unknown maker В.А. (one could still see these initials at the bottom of obverse).

Diameter 28 mm.

I'd say this piece was made in 1916.

Regards,

Nick

Hmmm...

Nice manners!

No wonder many questions remain unanswered :lol:

Are you suggesting that usairforce and I are lacking manners in the way we present our questions?

I can’t speak on usairforce’s account but as for myself I will offer my sincere apologies if the style and abruptness of my question was wholly bereft of proper respect and manners. It was certainly not my intention to disrespect the medal or the person who owns it by the brevity of my question. Rather, I wanted to succinctly and quickly get the heart of the question that I arrived at upon seeing this medal in its present state of wear. It was a supposition of mine that the medal received an artificial buffing in order to look older than it really was. I had entertained mentioning how I thought the wear was uneven and is performed on fake medals to both look old and hide poor castings details, but I didn’t want to attract attention to something unless other members also thought the wear was a significant feature.

I could have said all of this…or I could have spared everyone the electrons to form these letters and just said; “Is this example legit?”

BTW: At the risk of displaying more bad manners, thank you for your informed response (post #4). I did learn something new that I didn’t know before.

It's not the brevitas of questions dear Claudius- it's the style of responses I was talking about ;)

The last time I checked - this simple rule was still holding (among more or less gentlemanly persons of course)

"question - answer - response (at least do you agree or not)"

Instead we have

"question - aswer - silence .........."

It's not that I was mortally wounded by this, but I believe that

Id facere laus est, quod decet, non quod licet

As for this medal - I am not its owner (I don't collect remnants ;))

In general I really regret that I responded to this thread which was started by such uncouth and ignorant person as usaiforce.

This is of course (judging by his past and current threads) his typical communication style.

Regards,

Nick

P.S. Thanks for your detailed response ;)

P.P.S. O tempora! O mores! :lol:

Edited by JapanX

OK. I think I understand what you are saying Nick, but correct me if I’m wrong. With the posting of questions the protocol should be;

1) Question….2) Answer…..3) Response(such as thank you). To your question -yes I agree. It is this last part, number 3, that is often missing and is so aggravating.

I know that when I originate a thread I try to respond to the comments, questions and overall appreciative statements. (I do say “try”. In the future I will be more concensious to see that I always respond.)

On this thread, since I only made a single post I read your answer with acknowledgement but didn’t respond. (my error) I had thought usairforce was going to eventually provide a follow-up. But, if as you say, it is common for usairforce to not to respond, then I can understand your displeasure and why you don’t like to respond to his posts.

As for me, I am glad you shared your knowledge because, as I said, I learned something I didn’t know before. Again, thank you.

Regarding manners; You are either quoting from Cicero or the Bard. From my own school days I recall what Socrates opined about. I found the quote; Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

He lived in the “460’s” but the same could have been said about the 1960’s AD (and today).

Regarding this medal; Res Ipsa Loquitur.

I always was a fan of Seneca (his "Ethicus epistolae" is one of my favorite books ;)) dear Claudius.

My quote is from his "Octavia", 466.

Although in "Trojans", 343 he put it even better:

Quod non vetat lex, hoc vetat fieri pudor

Thank you for your highly interesting and erudite (your Latin is indeed impressive!) response.

I completely agree with all your interpretations and really glad that my comment was more or less informative ;)

As for "He lived in the “460’s” but the same could have been said about the 1960’s AD (and today)"

I believe the same could be applied to any time period.

Unfortunately ...

"Res Ipsa Loquitur" - it certainly is :lol:

Vale et mihi faveas (old school latinus guys should stick together ;))

Best,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

I always was a fan of Seneca (his "Ethicus epistolae" is one of my favorite books ;)) dear Claudius.

My quote is from his "Octavia", 466.

Although in "Trojans", 343 he put it even better:

Quod non vetat lex, hoc vetat fieri pudor

Thank you for your highly interesting and erudite (your Latin is indeed impressive!) response.

I completely agree with all your interpretations and really glad that my comment was more or less informative ;)

As for "He lived in the "460's" but the same could have been said about the 1960's AD (and today)"

I believe the same could be applied to any time period.

Unfortunately ...

"Res Ipsa Loquitur" - it certainly is :lol:

Vale et mihi faveas (old school latinus guys should stick together ;))

Best,

Nick

You are correct Nick. The ancient literature has much to fascinate us (as being so different) and yet also be altogether relevant to us today.

Quod non vetat lex, hoc vetat fieri pudor –I had forgotten that phrase! No doubt because as high school boys we had no interest in being modest about our accomplishments. We had so little to be modest about, but we were certainly going to leverage all of it to attract the girls!

Thank you for the complement, however while weeks ago I made a Recent Status Update on GMIC that;

“At least my Latin is better... (than my children)

it is only because they don’t know any. I must confess that I have not retained all that I once knew.

Darn right! Old-school guys should stick together!