News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with Uniform Identification

oneilr

Hi, I recently came across an old picture of a Hungarian military man when going through my grandpa's things. I think it may be his mother's cousin but I am unsure. My great grandmother was from Svedler or Svedlar, Hungary. I was wondering if anyone could identify the type of uniform and the war or time period it is from so that I can better identify the person in the picture. I know nothing about uniforms so any information would be helpful. I believe the man's last name is Hoffman. I will attach the picture. The back of the picture has so writing printed on it that I am assuming is from the photographer. I originally posted it in the German section and was suggested to post here. Thanks for any and all help.

oneilr,

I would date the picture closer to last half of the 19th century. The pants in wear have the braid on the front to indicate the wearer was in the Hungarian infantry so possibly after the compromise of 1860. The field cap would appear to be of the post 1870 type. The shoulder cords are for marksmanship. Best guess from the photo.

Regards,

Gordon

I wil try and post again. As usual I was being dyslexic. What I meant to say was that the postcard almost certainly dated from the 1880s or 90s when the Karoly studio was at its most prolific. Hope the post works this time.

Paul

Thank you both for your input and help. I did a little research on the photographer's name and discovered that there was a Divald Karoly and a Divald Karoly fia. I looked up fia and it appears to mean son in Hungarian. Fia is printed on the picture. So after searching for Divald Karoly fia I found that he lived from 1861-1931. So now my question is, would you still date the picture around the 1880's-1890's or is it possible that the picture could have been taken in the early 20th century closer to WWI? I'm not sure whether or not the uniform style changed by that time or not. What do you think?

oneilr,

It could have been taken a little later although it would have to have been before 1908 when the field grey uniform came into issue. Since it takes time for all members of the armed forces to be issued a new uniform it is possible it was later than this date as well. Always difficult to date a photo like this unless it has a date at the bottom of the studios name. It has the "feel" of a late 19th century photo.

Regards,

Gordon

Karol Divald (1830 - 1897) ran many photographic studios in Austrian monarchy, one of the in Budapest, another in Prešov (hungarian Eperjés), now Slovakia. This photo is from Eperjés You have it written there, on both sides of photograph.

• 3 weeks later...

According the Hungarian Portrait Photographers and Photostudios 1840-1945 book, this studio operated between 1894 and 1910.

The soldier is a Honvéd infantryman, nearly sure from the 9th Honvéd Infantry Regiment. He wears a tunic that introduced 1906.

Edited by Markgraf