News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Erwin Rommel's Soldbuch - Auctioned Off

Reading through a German Military Magazine couldn't help but notice that a German auction house had Feldmarschall Erwin Rommell's Soldbuch up for auction on 14th June two days ago. Estimated value around 40,000 euro. Write up decribes it so - issued 18 October 1939 has the signature of Alfred Jodl in it and all of Rommels promotions from Generalmajor to Generelfeldmarschall 22.6.42. Rommel had it on him as he was forced to commit suicide. In the first picture is the doctor's statement in the Soldbuch - on 14.10.44 at 13.25pm dead on arrival at Res. Lazarett Ulm (Donau) Teillazarett: Diagnosis Heart failure due to in the West suffered service accident. A very nice piece of history but it comes with a high price tag. I've no idea what it went for perhaps Kevin may be putting it up in the near future ?

I wish! I was waiting for it to be listed in the post-auction sales so I could pick it up for a bargain 300 Euros!! :)

It was Andreas Thies who had it listed on his latest auction. Judging from the images in the catalogue the SB didn't seem to have many entries but if the money was available I can't imagine many turning it down.

I have no idea what it sold for - if it did in fact sell. I would of imagined that somewhere like the museum at Münster would of gone for something like this considering as I think it is them that have his tunics on display.

Edited by hucks216

Kevin, I'll have a trawl later, through a couple of German Miltary Forums the sale price may have generated some heat and steam there. Andreas Thies had some very nice high-end pieces up on offer. One was Görings diamond impregnated sabre valued for 75000 euro. I think they'll get 40k for the Soldbuch, after all Rommel is one of the most iconic WW2 generals. Although again, generally paper items don't seem to be rated so highly (as I think they should) except when I try to sneak something tasty and cheap, then usually the prices go off the graph.

He did have some very nice pieces, as did Hermann Historica on his last auction (every bit of the Gordon Gollob paperwork sold including all his high-end formal citations). I particularly liked the prelim citations for Teddy Suhren's Oakleaves and Oakleaves & Swords awards on Thies's auction.

I know how you feel when hoping to sneak something through although I had a bit of luck on the last Hermann Historica post-auction sales when I managed to pick up a Großdeutschland wehrpass, soldbuch, dogtag and grave photo to a soldier who was not only an original member of GD but was also in one of the 3 main units (Infanterie-Lehr-Rgt) used to form GD and it looks like he was one of the soldiers involved in Operation NIWI on 10th May 1940. I only had a single image to go on so had to take a chance on it being all ok and I had a niggle in the back of my mind thinking "Well, if it is all ok then why hasn't it sold?" but thankfully it was. He was KIA in late 1943 (still with GD) and I managed to get it all for the equivalent of £305 which I thought was abit of a bargain as GD SB+WP combinations aren't seen too often.

• 1 month later...

I've been keeping a eye out for what Rommel's Soldbuch went for. A collector gave me a link to Andreas Thies Auction House and a sales price list of the auction the soldbuch was in. The article No. of the soldbuch was 1053 - it didn't reach its reserve, never got sold. I believe the rest of the auction was a success. I noticed one piece Item 1022 went for 350000 euro - RAD presentation dagger for Mussolini, who says there's no money in collecting militaria - you just need the right pieces. I would have given the link to Thies's sales price list, I confess I don't know how too.

Regards

Thank you Kevin, I always try to introduce threads with a bit of verve and interest. Anything to get away from those boring old medal threads. On reflection it would seem collecting Third Reich paperwork is still a Cinderella discipline amongst Third Reich collectors. Regards

Edited by AlecH

I would be scared to touch a RK document after the whole Petersen delema. Someone out there is makeing great copies (not saying this one is, just that the fakes are really good)

I am surprised the Romel documents didnt sell. Perhaps there was an after auction offer for it.