News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Old Sporting Trophies & Awards

This will only be a quick starter - I am hoping that our Members will have a mass of items to post.

Sporting trophies for inter Regimental comps. - shooting awards - and all of the different civilian

competitions. Cups, cutlery, shields - just some of the presentations - I am hoping for a good

response.

Starting it off is this rare 9ct. gold medallion. This was awarded to NORTHANTS W.M.C. for

winning the Football League in 1920 - 21. WMC probably stands for - Working Mens Club - and

of course in those days Footbal was played as a sport. Being the award for League champions

it is in Gold - nearly always reserved for the top winners.

I will be pleased if anyone knows anything about this club and what happened to them ?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2012/post-6209-0-24592300-1340212967.jpgCLICK TO ENLARGE

Hi Gents,

My father was presented with this silver medal while an Aircraft Apprentice at RAF Halton in the mid-1930s. It was the Barrington-Kennett Trophy for Inter-Wing hockey, and he won it at Junior level in 1935 and Senior level in 1936 - as the bars show.

The medal was made by Boucher Ltd of London, is hallmarked for London and 'F A & Co', and came in a very smart case.

Hockeyobverseclose.jpg

Obverse

Hockeyreverseclose.jpg

Reverse

Hockeyobverse.jpg

Ribbon and bars

Hockeycase.jpg

Case.

Not bad for 16- and 17-year olds!

Bill

Bill - a very rare award and beatifully presented in it's own case. This was exactly what I had in mind for this particular post.

Mind you - I was trying to work out how you play hockey on aircraft wings ..........but, that's me being stupid - then I remembered

how a Wing in the airforce is a unit of three squadrons.

Hi,

I want to show the award for the first German light athletics champion in 1896, distance 200m.

The championship had only 3 competitions: 100m, 200m and 7,500m. It was the first German championship in metric disciplines (until 1895 it had been 100, 200 and 1,500 yards).

The winner Kurt Doerry was a well known German sports man, a sports official and a well known sports journalist.

Please see Doerry, Kurt (Deutscher Meister über 100 Meter und 200 Meter):

http://www.luise-ber...96/9606lexa.htm

Uwe

Edited by speedytop

Looks like a standard British football medal - but why are there palm trees ?

See the next post - the naming makes it a rare item.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2012/post-6209-0-46522000-1341081645.jpgCLICK TO ENLARGE

The reverse - showing that it was an inter-Regimental football competition in Egypt during

World War 2. I wonder what happened to Mr. Suttie ?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2012/post-6209-0-13105600-1341081867.jpgCLICK TO ENLARGE

Mervyn,

the athletic competitions before 1896 were international, named "Meisterschaften von Deutschland" and "Meisterschaften vom Kontinent".

No feets and inches, only yards and an (English) mile.

At that time (and several years later) there was a great difference in Germany between "Sport" and "Turnen".

Sport was international, Turnen was strictly national (for Germans or German speaking peoples).

To be seperated from the English model, or based on the Olympic games in 1896 with metric distances, they changed from yards and mile to Meter and the (German) Meile = 7,500 meter.

Uwe

Hi Gents,

A couple more medals that my father won for hockey:

Following on from the Suez League football medal -

hockey11.jpg

hockey10.jpg

The RAF Canal North League hockey medal for 1948. Diameter 39mm.

And from Malta, c 1950 -

hockey12.jpg

hockey13.jpg

Diameter 32mm

Bill

• 8 years later...

Got some as well.

Here is a British one, from a city I ofthen went too as a child.

The trophy was how ever found here in a house clearing a few years ago.

Only the 1938 and 1939 winner's have been mentioned...probably for a obvious reason...

db1fed88-65f2-443a-b5b6-cc57086e1f1c.jpg

7762d047-c16e-4736-944a-5214b2d8ac73.jpg

3c5c3cb5-95f4-4ee7-b69e-e175dc72455f.jpg