News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A 9-place Bavarian bar of not an ordinary guy?

Hi folks,

I wonder what you can say about this 9-place medal bar which looks like a civilan bar of a medic, a firefighter, a worker, a fighter and who knows what else. I have no intention of buying it, I'm just really curious if this is a legit bar. So what do we have here:

1) Bavarian Ludwig's Cross

2) Prussian Merit Cross

- so far all OK

3) Not sure about this one...is it from Hansa City of Bremen or Hamburg?

4) Honor Cross with Swords - should not be there a version without swords?

5) Prussian Red Cross Medal (3rd class i think)

6) Some Bavarian Red Cross Medal of a local RC association

7) Hungarian Commemorative Medal, again with Swords?

8) Bavarian Firebrigade Honor Cross (2nd class)

9) Bavarian Industry Medal for 25 years (Nazi version)

Is this possible at all? Or just another Frankenstein bar?

Thanks for your thoughts!

bargt.jpg

I doubt it is original. There are too many "common" medals with too many odd inconsistencies. It is however, a hypothetically possible combination. The only thing that really initially sounds alarm bells to me is the Bavarian arbeits medal. However, those ended up with all sorts of people. I tend to think of them as going to skilled mechanics or Rotary club types, but I have seen them to all sorts.

The Bremen medal is also rather odd, but the roll exists and we may be able to trace this chap via that roll.

The firemans' cross I believe was awarded to volunteer firemen as well and I have photos of Bavarian village firemen (specifically Jewish men) wearing this medal.

The HKx was awarded apparently to some DRK men and women in the front lines, although I have never seen the regulations for it. Possibly the DRK/BRK was amalgamated into the imperial army de jure at some point. This is an unknown point and would explain the HKx. But then again, so could enlistment for a length of time with a substantial wound. It would be odd if he was in feldgrau that he got a Ludwigs' cross and not a BMVkx3.

This is the bar of a lower ranked professional/hard core volunteer Bavarian Red cross official.

But- the ribbons look odd- some are new, others faded-

Matthew, you mean the Hungarian medal? These had some very different regulations regarding combattant or non-combattant status, so this might match - it does well match the Hindenburg cross with swords!

The fire fighters' cross on #8 is from Bundesrepublik era, and a Nazi era award with swastika "should" not be worn with it... but odd things did happen!

I'm not sure this isn't good, saw similar ones in wear on 1950s photos.

The quality of the wrap and backing, the combination..... I really don't have a problem with this bar. odd.... absolutely; but not an impossible combination. Just an unusual one. I agree with Saschaw..... consistent with many other Bavarian bars I have seen and handled over the years.