News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Last from 50 Years of Collecting

After nearly 50 years of collecting Police related historical items the last main part of

the collection has just been sent off to a major collector. He is a good friend and I am happy

to know that they have gone to a good home where they will be looked after and further

researched - still quite a sad moment in my life.

I still have many pieces - swords, uniform, lamps, whistles etc. to dispose of - some of them

can go on our For Sale section.

Meanwhie here are a few pictures and I will add further ones over time.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2012/post-6209-0-86685100-1342541454.jpgclick to enlarge

From the left - an early numbered baluster style truncheon for the English County of Dorset. With number.

Middle : Parker Field truncheon for the City of Oxford. With Divisional number

Right : Victorian Special Constables truncheon - Number 51. A little wear.

------------------------------------------------------------http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2012/post-6209-0-82916200-1342542009.jpgclick to enlarge----------------------------------------

Many Police Forces in Victorian times often had patrol sergeants and Inspectors carrying a walking stick.

This could be tapped on the pavement - or, old tram lines - to call constables in for updates.

Senior officers rarely carried a full stick - however, this is a fine example from the City of Glasgow.

The Crown is for King Edward 7th (1901-1910) and the top shows the rank of Superintendent. Rare.

-------------------------------------------------http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2012/post-6209-0-54000200-1342543018.jpgclick to enlarge---------------------------------------

This picture shows three Staffs of Office.

Top : Carried by Ushers of the Duke of Norfolk - Heriditary Grand Marshall of England - in Westminster

Abbey at the Coronation of King Edward 7th. 1902.

MIDDLE : Official Staff of Office - King William 4th. (1830-37) There are name details.

LOWER : This is an official staff for one of the three Scottish orders of High Constables. Edinburgh, Perth

and Leith. This one is for Perth. Held in Processions - or, on duty - the Royal Arms are at top and those of

Perth at the base. Societies of High Constables were civilian and usually well-to-do shopkeepers - or,

gentlemen. They were formed in the days when Policing was very poor.

Those are some awesome batons! I would not want to be on the receiving end of them, that is for sure.

Were they decorated like that when they were issued or was it done post service?

• 2 weeks later...

-------------------------------------------------http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2012/post-6209-0-54000200-1342543018.jpgclick to enlarge---------------------------------------

This picture shows three Staffs of Office.

Top : Carried by Ushers of the Duke of Norfolk - Heriditary Grand Marshall of England - in Westminster

Abbey at the Coronation of King Edward 7th. 1902.

MIDDLE : Official Staff of Office - King William 4th. (1830-37) There are name details.

LOWER : This is an official staff for one of the three Scottish orders of High Constables. Edinburgh, Perth

and Leith. This one is for Perth. Held in Processions - or, on duty - the Royal Arms are at top and those of

Perth at the base. Societies of High Constables were civilian and usually well-to-do shopkeepers - or,

gentlemen. They were formed in the days when Policing was very poor.

when do you intend to sell the staffs of office? how much would they be?

• 2 weeks later...