News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Manchukuo - National Highway Authority Medal

drclaw

Gents,

JCwaters, Paul Wood and I have been working to identify some very unusual medals in a Chinese collection.

Thought we'd share this rare beast with you which JC has identified as a Manchukuo National Highway Authority Medal. It's the most complete specimen he's ever seen, and these are very rare. It's not listed in Peterson.

Enjoy!

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-11630-0-86617800-1344281707.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-11630-0-35236900-1344281754.jpg

It's the most complete specimen he's ever seen, and these are very rare. It's not listed in Peterson.

Many things are not listed in Peterson ;)

Cool piece indeed!

Thanks!

Edited by JapanX

See here for the 2nd and 3rd Class badges. (NOTE: According to a knowledgable collector, the information I included appears to be mistaken, so I will amend it. But you can see nice pics of the badges.)

Bottom of the page:

http://imperialjapanmedalsandbadges.com/manbadges3.html

What an interesting background story!

Given the leap in quality between the Bronze and the Silver, the First Class Gold badge must have been exquisite.

From the Russian article image, these appear to have been awarded in the typical plush black lacquer cases.

(NOTE: According to a knowledgable collector, the information I included appears to be mistaken, so I will amend it. But you can see nice pics of the badges.)

Do you mean the information contained in the short note by U. Kienko that was published in "St.Petersburg Collector" is not correct?

I think only "strictly for white people" is exaggeration.

It is believed that this medal was intended for personal that continued to work on KVGD (see http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CA%E8%F2%E0%E9%F1%EA%EE-%C2%EE%F1%F2%EE%F7%ED%E0%FF_%E6%E5%EB%E5%E7%ED%E0%FF_%E4%EE%F0%EE%E3%E0); after it was handed over to Japan in 1935.

Naturaly some medals were awarded to Russians who continued their work on KVGD for some time.

Edited by JapanX

Given the leap in quality between the Bronze and the Silver, the First Class Gold badge must have been exquisite.

As far as I remember nothing fancy.

I'll post in a couple of days quality photo of 1st class + better quality scan of the article with short translation notes.

Cheers,

Nick

As far as I remember nothing fancy.

I'll post in a couple of days quality photo of 1st class + better quality scan of the article with short translation notes.

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks for all the contributions, especially Fukuoka's

All the best,

Paul

The medal at the photo was sold to one of the St. Petersburg antique shops by relative of cavalier, who was awarded with for his work in Manchukuo in 30s and early 40s. He came back to USSR in 1945. The document for the medal (according to relative) was destroyed by cavalier shortly before returning “just in case” (where “case” is 10 years of works camps ;)).

According to the author of this article obverse inscription reads “State Roads Medal” (rosette obverse bears same inscription)

Reverse inscription reads “Honorary Medal” (column on the left) and “State Roads Administration” (column on the right)

Box cover inscription reads “Honorary Medal. State Roads Administration of Manchudigo”

Since the box cover bears the state name Manchudigo we know that these medals were minted after March 1, 1934.

The reverse inscriptions are the same for all classes except for the upper hieroglyph in the left column.

Here they are.

Who and for what

Was this medal indeed intended for “white-immigrants when Manchukuo government started to change Soviet railroad personal to white-immigrants and Chinese workers”?

I don`t think it was exclusively intended for Russian immigrants who worked on KVGD.

Most likely it was a general medal intended for all transport workers (including Russian “white-immigrants” who worked on KVGD – Chinese Eastern Railroad or, as it was known in Japan and Manchukuo after 1931, Northeast- Manchurian Railroad).

Edited by JapanX

The variation of kanji on the back of the badges are the class indications: '2nd' and '3rd' in the case of the badges pictured on my site, and 'Special' on the badge you posted afterward. The lack of a number may indicate a lower award than the 3rd class.

Wow! Thanks for all this information!

It certainly was a fascinating award and it would be a miracle that many of these awarded to Soviet workers survived at all given the politics (and personal risks) involved.

Nick, I'd have to agree. The First Class award doesn't float my boat and the Second Class is still the most aesthetically appealing.