News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PHALERAE INCOGNITA: first Hirato Rising Sun Orders

JapanX

• Replies 71
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, of course the correct name of the first master should be Hirata (not Hirato as I wrote).

Hikoshiro Haruyuki Hirata

Time to take a look at his face (I`d like to thank Nick Komiya for sending me this photo and providing additional very interesting biographical information :cheers:)

Edited by JapanX

His ancestors were not sword smiths (as I always wrongly thought), but enamel craftsmen, who also made decorative features on swords. Hikoshiro Michihito Hirata of Kyoto was appointed the court enamel craftsman by the Shogun, Hidetada Tokugawa and there followed several generations of Hikoshiro Hiratas as artisans for the Shogunate.

Almost all orders made between 1874 and 1929 were contracted to either Haruyuki Hirata, Sousuke Namikawa or Muneyasu Oki and under them were the many subcontractors. Haruyuki, the Father of Japanese orders was the 10th generation of Hikoshiros. His full name was Hikoshiro Haruyuki Hirata and was active in making orders from 1874-1879 (sic!!!). Then from 1879-1890 Hikoshiro Nariyuki Hirata took over the business. However, his sudden death required Haruyuki to come out of retirement and he once again made orders from 1890 to 1906. Then from 1906 to 1925 or so came the second generation Haruyuki. So there were actually 3 Hiratas involved in orders over the years.

Regards,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

• 4 months later...