News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Update on US Navy 4 medal documented bar

Congratulations on completing the collection. It sheds much light on the fact that the RVN authorities saw fit to award him the Cross of Gallantry and Civil Actions medals while the US Navy took no real notice of his bravery (other than the Combat Actions Ribbon). He must have participated in a number of small boat actions the likes of which we may never know. "...The evil that men do lives after them;

The good is oft interred with their bones..." Shakespeare

Hello Paul, I had already gotten the upper "named" bar (see posting below this). Named and documented 4 medal navy GC bar. I don't know why, but many many Navy and Air Force types wear the full sized Vietnam Gallantry Cross and Civil Actions 1st when they are really "Unit Citations", probably because they don't wear the ribbons for these when the medals are worn. Also individual awards of these are rare in the Navy and Air Force, not so for the Army and Marines. Yes it is a nice now complete group. I have found an obituary and more photos. Will post. He was a 30 year man 1949-1979. Here are a couple. George

Paul, I did both. I do belong to Ancestry.com - They have the Navy Musters 1939-1949, and the Veterans Admin. Burial data, both are very helpful, along with census, SS deaths, etc. The obituary and extra photos were from a memorial site (cemetery) on the internet. That surprised me. Been lucky with this one. Here is an older picture of Jesse. Cheers George