News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Commonwealth type Dog Tag issued to an American?

• 1 year later...

From what I can make out -

L.I. PARSONS

PROT. (Protestant)

LIEUT. (LIEUTENANT)

M.O.R.C. (or, G)

U.S.A.

Irish - I am sorry that no-one has answered your enquiry. I have set out the details on the Tag and hope that

someone will be able to help. I feel that he was probably attached to a special unit - or, Command. Mervyn

I'm guessing that the answer probably lies in the "M. O. R. C./G.", which presumably is the organization or unit to which he belonged. Does that abbreviation ring any bells with anyone? If he were a Yank attached to a British unit or group he would presumably get dog tags if he were not in the US military and did not already have a set. That could apply to journalists, civilian employees, and probably many other categories of people.

Can anyone tell me if this tag was issued to an American?? If so under what circumstances and what else does the tag tell us. Many thanks

A similar question was asked in the "Great War Forum", Irish. The answer (see link below) is that MORC stands for 'Medical Officer Reserve Corps' and it appears that a significant number of American doctors were attached to British units, on a contract as one-year volunteers, in the latter part of the Great War (before the entry of the USA into the war).

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188610

Google the search string (between the arrow heads) > "M. O. R. C." "great war" < and you will find out a lot more about this organisation.

[Thanks for the prompt, Mervyn. This was something I knew nothing about and I was interested to discover yet another Great War anomaly. Kudos to Peter Monahan for spotting where the nub of the question lay!]

Edited to correct spelling!

Edited by Trooper_D

Always great when we can have a 'round robin' of opinion - and come to a conclusion. I was about to add that the tag

was part of British ID - a strange type of pressed material that had the details stamped-in.

Thankyou Trooper_D for telling us the details. Mervyn