News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medical Groups - Boer War

I have been offered this pair of Boer War Groups - and if I do this it will be because of our experts on the

Forum confirming on their authenticity for naming.

They are both rare for their Medical links.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-6209-0-92319000-1345381496.jpgclick

The naming is particularly interesting - Lt. & Qr. Mr. D.DALLAS RAMC

This naming usually meant that they were older senior NCO's - either transferred or, brought out of

retirement. They tended to be made Quartermasters for the efficient transfer of supplies etc..

My Grandfather had this happen - he was Captain and Quartermaster and Leigh helped establish that he

was with one of the Glouster's Bns..

I suspect that Lt. Dallas may have been with a forward Field Hospital - in charge of the smooth running

and in charge of the o/r's. The alternative to this is that he was with a base hospital.

A few edge knocks - however, I will be pleased to have your opinions ? Mervyn

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-6209-0-92638700-1345382729.jpgclick

This QSA and KSA is named to Nursing Sister I. P. Marshall.

Very unfairly Nurses were never awarded clasps - so we have no idea in which hospitals she worked.

Neither do we know - at this stage - if she was/ or, eventually, married Mr. Dallas. The two groups are

together so we always have that possibility.

The engraving is not so clear as on the first group - and her initial 'I' does worry me a little - it appears to

have an 'O' surrounding it. This might just be the impression.- or, correction of a mistake.

If we can establish that it is OK then it is a valuable group - they are usually just the QSA.

Hello Mervyn

A wonderful set. I do hope the membership verifies that this is a good pair to purchase. From what I can see I'd have no problems adding them to the collection, but I do look forward to reading what the more knowledgeable members have to say. Thanks for making my Sunday morning.

Regards

Brian

Mervyn

Both pairs seem fine to me and tracking the two people concerned on 'Ancestry', 'FindMyPast' and angloboerwar.com would be worthwhile. If the two did indeed become husband and wife, it would add to the interest and value of the medals.

Regards

Brett

Mervyn......

NURSING SISTER I.P. MARSHALL.......

Nursing Sisters Engaged Locally (South Africa)

Marshall, I., 16 Stationary Hospital, Mafeking, Engaged August 8th, 1901

Great group of medals, I would grab them up if a reasonable price.....

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE