News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Why the EK?

We may have discussed this here before but do you all know what started the obsession we share with this medal?

I bought my first EK1, what I now know was a an unmarked Klein and Quenzer, for £40 about 22 years ago. I've owned and sold hundreds since then.

When I actually think about it I'm quite sure it was Oddball from Kelly's Heroes wearing one around his neck that started it for me.

I remember watching it as a kid and thinking how cool he was and how much I'd have loved that cross.

Good job he wasn't wearing a Pour Le Merite! I'd probably be a broken man by now!

What about you guys?

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost the same story for me. As a kid in the 60s, my step dad and I watched all the military shows

and movies. I also remember about 1966 or maybe 67 seeing "Hell's Angels on Wheels" --lots of crosses

and swazies. I even wore a cheap surfers cross back then.

The dude who designed the cross came up with a very powerfull design. It's simple and bold

and when you combine that with the fact that it supposedly represented the evil empire, I think

it makes a strong impression on young minds----just my theory.

I had 4 given to me in the early 90s, two Imperial 1st class and two 2nd class all to the same man. I still have them, the well worn KO 1st class being my all time favourite. I bought and sold few in the 1990s but lost any real interest in German militaria around 10 years ago so haven't picked up any since then. I still have around 30 examples though.

Tony

Hey Greg, how you keeping mate?

Yes seems a vey similar tale doesn't it? I think you're right on the strong design and if being something from the dark side. As a kid that's powerful imagery. I also remember endlessly looking st the covers of my dad's Sven Hassell books. You know, the old seventies/eighties covers? I think Lemmy from Motörhead always wearing one has an impact on me as a teenager too.

Hi Tony, nice that You've still kept your crosses though. There a some I should never have sold on myself. Particularly a couple of boxed spanges I used to have which have rocketed in price insanely. I've moved a lot more into WW1 Trios and researching British groupings these days. I've only ever been an Iron Cross collector as far as German is concerned really with a few exceptions.

I've discovered the pleasure in researching medal groups and casualties. Even managed to visit a few graves. I will start posting some of my groupings in the relevet forum soon.

Cheers,

Glenn.

We seem to have gone in the same direction Glenn.

I was lucky enough to find out what the EKI KO winner did to be awarded his cross, he wasn't mentioned by name in the action he fought in but the MG team got a mention. Makes the cross far more interesting for me.

Tony

Tony, that's fantastic. Very rare to be able to put a genuine history to a particular cross. I can understand why you have kept it. I often wonder when I look at less collectible crosses just how valuable they'd become if their history was known.

Sounds like your cross has a superb story behind it.