News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello readers:

With the valuable help of Rick Research I am able to post some information regarding Lt.d.Res. Hans Holst, the eldest brother of my father. Uncle Hans was born 25 February, 1891 and was a school teacher by profession. The first information regarding his military life is his serving as Offiziersstellvertreter in Res.Inf.Rgt. 84. He received his commission as Leutnant d.Res. on 39 July, 1915 in that regiment to be transferred to Res.Inf.Rgt. 207. He lost his life during the battles at Verdun on 30 April, 1916 serving in that regiment.

I wish to thank Rick for his help in this very personal matter.

The German Volksbund caring for the administration of German War Graves, the recovering of remains still today and other endeavors regarding mainly German war losses, do not show data of him in their registry of German War Dead.

I recall another photo of him from home wearing the ribbon of the Iron Cross but which must have gotten lost over time.

My uncle is on the right.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello readers;

Here is another but very poor picture ( probably a copy of a copy ) of my uncle as Offiziersstellvertreter in R.I.R. 84. He is seated on the right. Also a picture of his grave.

Information on the original postcard bears a stamp " Aus militaerischen Gruenden verzoegert", ( Delayed for military reasons ). Complete information on his unit is given ( i.e.regiment, division and army corps which astounded me.

Bernhard H. Holst

In the 16 May 1916 Prussian Verlustliste, he is listed as Johannes Holst, Lt.d.R., 11./RIR 207, vom RIR 84, geb. Hamersen, Zeven, † an seinen Wunden Feld.Laz. 2. II.A.K.

According to the 1910 census, Hamersen was a village of 258 inhabitants, located in Landkreis Zeven, Regierungsbezirk Stade, Provinz Hannover.

In the 1916 edition of the Zentralblatt für die gesamte Unterrichts-Verwaltung in Preussen, he is listed as "Johannes Holst, Volksschullehrer in Krukum, Leutn. d. R., † 1. 5.16."

Again according to the 1910 census, Krukum was a village of 830 inhabitants in Landkreis Melle, Regierungsbezirk Osnabrück, Provinz Hannover.

Edited by Dave Danner

Hello Dave:

Thank you very much for this, additional information. I will relay it to other family members. The date of death varies but only by one day. Rick sent me a copy of the "Ehrenmal des Preussischen Offizier-Korps" and the "Militaer Wochenblatt".

My father's family originates from Hamersen, as you report a rather small village.

Thanks again for the information,

Bernhard H. Holst

• 2 weeks later...

That database mainly only covers teachers in higher Prussian school service (Lehrer im höheren Schuldienst Preußens). So Gymnasial- and Oberrealschullehrer, for example, but not Volkschullehrer.

Hello Dave.

Thank you for this information. But with your and Rick 's help a lot of information has come the family's way.

Thanks again.

Bernhard H. Holst

That database mainly only covers teachers in higher Prussian school service (Lehrer im höheren Schuldienst Preußens). So Gymnasial- and Oberrealschullehrer, for example, but not Volkschullehrer.

Hi Dave,

you are sure - my greatgrandfather was Volksschullehrer and I found him there!

And my greatgranduncle was Gymnasialschullehrer and I didn't found him!

Maybe the archive/documents are not complete!??

Best regards,

Jens

Edited by KIR

Very interesting, Bernhard.

I wonder how many of us had relatives at Verdun? My great uncle Capitaine Marcel Verzieux was wounded there June 14, 1916 with the 2/13eme Compagnie, 3eme Régiment de Génie.

Michael

Hello Michael.

I had the opportunity to visit the Verdun Battlefield in the late 1980's. Unfortunately only for a quick visit. I had read a lot about the battle in the German literature as a youth. And more recently the post WW I description by the German National Archives ( Reichsarchiv) in several volumes. What is of note is the absence of national prejudice slanting the history even in publications dating the 1933 - 1945 period.

What seems overlooked is the role in finally stopping the senseless slaughter of then Crown Prince Wilhelm. He intervened with his father.

Bernhard H. Holst