News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chaps and Chapesses

I recently aquired a relic helmet with no vents. Blimey. I originally thought it was a M1942 with the outurned rim. On closer inspection the rear rim is stamped cKl64 (Eisenhuttenwerke in Thale) size 64cm.

Checking out various very knowledgeable sites there seems to be a train of thought that these are M1945s and were only manufactured in a size 66cm. There seems to be dispute as to whether they are reproductions or extremely rare mis-manufactured late war helmets.

What do I do, chaps and chapesses, throw it away or guard it with my life?

Spaz

Most relics have no remains of manufacturer, size or batch numbers but this one does (I've tried to enhance the picture so that the stamp can be seen more clearly....... ahem)

It's a cKl64 batch 3248. I have no helmet books so have had to rely on t'tinternet where these have been called an M1945. Although there's no written proof, these were either manufactured incorrectly and in a rush or done just after the war. Nothing clear other than one site saying they were all 66cm - this is clearly a 64cm.

Yes, seems as though the jury is out on designation. Probably just an M42 produced without vents to quicken things up or not actually finished in the factory. No idea how this ended up in France as the factory was overrun by the Russians I believe.

Paintworks are by me. Most of them are close to death as they are more hole than helmet. But I like to give them a bit of history based on where they were found (If that info is available).