News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraqi Tribal Sword

Mervyn Mitton

I am told this is an Iraqi sword - one used by the desert tribes. These days it is more likely to be an AK47 -

however, the workmanship and decoration is interesting. The blade is probably an old jeep spring - so

many of the North African swords have their origins from this source.

I found it interesting that there is a sword at one end and a dagger at the other. The leather is from a camel

and the embossing on the leather - all hand done.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2012/post-6209-0-97922700-1349107883.jpgclick

• 9 months later...

This is actually a recent Tuareg item. The form is quite different from the traditional takouba (sword) and telek (arm dagger). These do showcase current Tuareg leather working skills quite well however.

ISPN - did we welcome you to GMIC ? You may well be right about the Tauregs - however, the person who brought it to the shop said he obtained it

in Iraq. Arm daggers are well known throughout the desert Arab world - you see them particularly on the herd boys - always worn upside down on the

upper arm, ready for a quick downward draw. What I think is unusual is to find it part of the scabbard for this sword. Mervyn

I just joined recently, but am enjoying the forum. My main focus is actually Tuareg and Hausa arms, I'll have to make a thread showing a few.

It's quite possible this particular example did make it to Iraq. I'll try to dig up a few photos for you showing these in a modern Tuareg context - I don't usually archive them because they don't fit the period I collect within however they can be found fairly easily online. If you like I can PM you a few discussions from another forum. As you mention arm daggers are common, across the entire Sahel really. I'm attaching an example formerly in my collection with the classic Turaeg telek form. Also included an old photo showing on the right hand arm of the subject a telek.

All the best,

Iain

Iain - very interesting and your knowledge on this weaponry is obviously far greater than mine. When you have time, it would be nice

to hear more from you on the subject. I can't promise you a large viewership - but we will be interested. Mervyn

Ian - I suppose they had to use the metal that was most common for them. Also, since this weaponry is really historic in origin, it is

possible that it had age. Mervyn

Hi Mervyn,

While I realize these forums are perhaps a little more oriented on the medals and militaria side I joined in the hope I could be of occasional use on African arms and armour as I simply enjoy sharing my collecting interests with others. I'll post a thread showing a few pieces shortly.

I did turn up one image of a Tuareg selling these.

37371742_3f3f55a034.jpg

I've seen the occasional brass or copper bladed item as well.

I'm torn. I saw a fair bit of Tuareg work years ago in Nigeria, where the long drought of the 1970s had driven many of the tribe, and actually own a nice blade with a [carve wood] 'antelope horn' handle. The blade decorations and leather work certainly look as if they could be Tuareg but the handles are not like any I recall or have seen since, so I'm not convinced either way.

Could be Tuareg, but could be someone else's work too, IMHO, perhaps even Iraqi. Not a huge difference between many 'primitive' blades, given the materials used - common to much of the world - and the relatively simple styles, unless the piece has a really distinctive component, such as the 'Tuareg cross' handle in Ispn's first photo.

Ispn, how did you get into that unusual collecting field, if I may ask?

Peter

I'm torn. I saw a fair bit of Tuareg work years ago in Nigeria, where the long drought of the 1970s had driven many of the tribe, and actually own a nice blade with a [carve wood] 'antelope horn' handle. The blade decorations and leather work certainly look as if they could be Tuareg but the handles are not like any I recall or have seen since, so I'm not convinced either way.

Could be Tuareg, but could be someone else's work too, IMHO, perhaps even Iraqi. Not a huge difference between many 'primitive' blades, given the materials used - common to much of the world - and the relatively simple styles, unless the piece has a really distinctive component, such as the 'Tuareg cross' handle in Ispn's first photo.

Ispn, how did you get into that unusual collecting field, if I may ask?

Peter

Hi Peter,

There are regional differences even in Tuareg work. Unfortunately as I mentioned I don't collect these newer items and so haven't bothered to examine them in great detail. Friends and fellow collectors who have been to the region I believe typically have mentioned them in the context of N. Mali and Niger. It's an odd style with no grounding in traditional types that I've ever been able to discover.

Of course in the context of saying it's Tuareg, that includes the fact that usually this sort of work was usually done by client castes of the Tuareg and other ethnic groups as well.

Oddly enough I got into the field because of an existing interest in European medieval arms and armour, African stuff was cheaper! Some types, such as takouba and kaskara have a similar visual form. After a few years I found myself completely fascinated by the history of the region (particularly Bornu, Hausa states and the Sokoto Caliphate) as well.

Iain