News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Information required regarding Iron Cross

Hi, I would like to have some consult regarding our collection of German medals.

We have in ou posession since years a huge collection of German World War II medals and insignes.

One of them is the Iron Cross. We were informed to insure this collection, since there are some quit expensive items among them. I would like to be sure the Cross is 100% original and would like to have an estimation of the value. Can anyone please help me with this? I am not able to show the pictures here due to their size.

Thanks a lot!

Hi Bertie,

What you have there is a FAKE 1939 Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. On top is a set of oakleaves and swords. I can't say if these are authentic from your photos, but they do not look promising.

Some Iron Crosses can be valuable indeed. Your set (assuming the oaks/swords are fakes, which I guess they are) is worth about $150. But if this set were authentic, you might sell it for $30,000 or more.

Hi Bertie,

The cross is 100% fake, with no question or doubt. You can be sure. I'm sorry for the bad news -- it is a well-known modern fake.

To verify the oakleaves, you must post good photos of the front and the back, not sideways, and clearly show the marks. Also please post dimensions in .10 mm and weight in grams without ribbon (for oakleaves only -- the cross has no chance to be original).

The current world renowned Knight's Cross expert Dietrich Maerz, author of The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and Higher Grades (which include the oakleaves) is a member and moderator of Wehrmacht Awards Forum (here). You could try to contact him through that forum, or post your set there.

Edited by Streptile