News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Commemorative Medal of the Royal Travel to Brazil

HEROES OF WAR IN VISIT TO PETRÓPOLIS

On September 19, 1920, landed in Rio de Janeiro King Albert and Queen Elizabeth I, kings of Belgium, invited by President Pessoa, were then transported by Brazilian cruiser Birmingham, for that occasion was partly transformed into transatlantic luxury, which included a lip service worthy of kings.

The kings of Belgium had received no precedent, both the authorities and people, mainly because King Albert, also very popular in his country, was surrounded dedicated to the heroes of admiration for his performance during the First World War.

The visit had as objectives to establish trade and cultural relations with Brazil, which was achieved through agreements and declarations of intent, where even the establishment of a steel plant. Until Oct. 16, the date of shipment for the return, also in São Paulo, the delegation made ​​a script heavy parties, banquets, tributes, speeches and tours: Rio de Janeiro, Teresopolis, Petropolis, Belo Horizonte, Morro Velho, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Rio Claro, Ribeirão Preto, Santos and Rio de Janeiro, journey undertaken by train.

In Petropolis, newspapers highlighted the visit which was preceded by the arrival of Count D'Eu and Prince d. Peter as their diplomatic representatives, as occurred in the same year amnesty to family Imperial, Petropolis newspapers reported the visit of King with great pomp, seo the newspaper ''O Seculo" has devoted special pages on printing class. On its front page had the family tree of King Albert.

It was created in November 1920 at the initiative of King Albert I to commemorate the trip he made to Brazil in the company of Queen Elizabeth, in September / October 1920, at the invitation of Brazilian President Epitácio Pessoa. This trip was in this country thanks to the support he had given to Belgium during the First World War. Rulers Belgian made the trip aboard the battleship Battleship Brazilian São Paulo found on the reverse of the coin.

The dark bronze medal was awarded only to officers, noncommissioned officers, sailors and civilians Brazilian and Belgian aboard the battleship during this trip. This makes this medal rare.

seculoBLOG.jpg

A visit to Petrópolis was processed with the presence of a large number of popular banda music and authorities who converged on the station where the landing occurred. At the time the King visited the College of St. Vincente de Paula which was located in the building of the Imperial Palace and took a photo with teachers and religious institution (reproduced photo that belongs to the collection of the Imperial Museum Archives).

reialbertoBLOG.jpg

museuecolegio.jpg

The following year, General Mangin, French, another hero of the First World War, also visited Petrópolis.

Mangin, in reality it was the General Charles Mangin (1866/1925), known as Le boucher, "The Butcher", who was commander of the French army in the fight to stop the attacks Germans, having served bravely in regaining Douamont & Triaumont, during the first great war.

This made ​​a quick visit to Brazil being in Rio de Janeiro and second records Fróes Gabriel followed for Petropolis.

manginBLOG.jpgManginBLOGG.jpg

Edited by lambert

Brazilian battleship São Paulo

E_S%C3%A3o_Paulo_%281909%29.JPG

Crew: 1173 . 138 officers and NCOs and 1035 sailors.

We can suggest a number of approximately 1300 issued?

I dont know how many people were in the Kings Entourage and Brazilian civilian on board.

lambert

Here an original medal in his box

68azlvo.jpg4lzzq7q.jpg

the ribon is not mounthed on the right way, the collor stiripes at the edges has to be reversed, green left, yelow on the right

4uv0j94.jpg4r0uiog.jpg

Guy

Congratulations Guy!

my example has the original ribbon.

note the PIN system, very unusual,

the correct sequence is

Green (left edge)

Yellow (right edge)

Belgian colours

Black/Gold/Red

Lambert

• 8 months later...

Last year Dix Noonan Webb had an uncased example which sold for £150. Based on that I would have thought a pristine cased example such as yours could sell between £200-250 (In my opinion cheap for such a rare and attractive medal, especially as the Olympic commemorative of the same year, which is no scarcer tends to make a lot more).

Hope this is of help

Paul

Last year Dix Noonan Webb had an uncased example which sold for £150. Based on that I would have thought a pristine cased example such as yours could sell between £200-250 (In my opinion cheap for such a rare and attractive medal, especially as the Olympic commemorative of the same year, which is no scarcer tends to make a lot more).

Hope this is of help

Paul

Hi Paul

I think of selling it soon. but I have to provide better quality photos. .

It was of great help.

Regards

Lambert

Good to see a picture of the beast - I have been searching for a good image for my site for quite a while, but to no avail as yet!

Hi Megan

I can take some pictures for your site if you wish.

Regards

Lambert

• 2 months later...