News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How / Where do you store your medals?

Moheb

Unlike American medals, Middle Eastern orders and breast stars are'nt of a uniform size, I've managed to find medal sleeves (which is great for military etc medals) & albums to fit these sleeves, but just curious how do you house your breast stars? I have several now and ever since I started they're all spread on a table at home! There's got to be a better way.

I also thought of shadow boxes but given that I keep expanding my collection it's not really that ideal

What do YOU do?

Collector's cabinets usually are good display 'venues', even for pieces uniform in size. Most have drawers about 5 cm [2 inches] deep and are anywhere from 40 cm [16 inches] to 80 cm [32 inches] in wide/long dimensions. Somewhat deeper drawers, say 8-10 cm deep, provide storage for most cases. Often velveteen or similar material is used to line drawers. They range in overall height from 60 cm to 2 metres.

If you are handy with tools, believe there's a GMIC thread describing cabinet construction. Otherwise they may be purchased; sources vary from easily adaptable IKEA type owner-assembled chests to custom-made 'roll-top' dressers. Used cabinets appear from time to time in auctions like Spinks --shipping expense is a real consideration however.

Map cases may also be suitable though individual drawers usually are considerably bigger and, as furniture, map cases are much bulkier.

Don't forget 'security' issues. Cabinets may be lockable, stored in a secure/safe room or otherwise protected.