News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I found this order of the white falcon medal yesterday

Hey folks, I think I am posting this in the right area, I do apologize if it is not. I only found this website about an hour ago. I've been wracking my brain with a friend of mine trying to identify this interesting medal that I found in my late grandmother's jewelery box. My grandfather had no idea where she got it (she's my step grandmother) and believes it might have been her father's.

It appears to be an Order of the White Falcon 2nd class medal, however there is no back for it. I believe it to be a replica, but my grandmother's son is pretty sure that his grandfather found it when he did his tour with the British Army. He was involved in the Battle of Dunkirk and others during the beginning of World War II.

So what do you guys think? If it's a replica I am totally okay with that, I would just like some answers.

The medal looks like it was modified to become a necklace, it looks like it was a pin at some point. It is also damaged - the medallion part is being held to the crown by a piece of wiring.

Here's the picture - if you guys need a better quality one please don't hesitate to ask! Thanks!

hOxft.jpg

Hey Paul,

There is no back for it - here's a picture.

Having no backing is what is making me believe it is a replica. There's a trademark but I can't make out what it says. I would assume that these medals were all 1 piece, not a front and back stuck together, however I don't pretend to know anything about war medals.

v94Ql.jpg

Hey Paul,

There is no back for it - here's a picture.

Having no backing is what is making me believe it is a replica. There's a trademark but I can't make out what it says. I would assume that these medals were all 1 piece, not a front and back stuck together, however I don't pretend to know anything about war medals.

v94Ql.jpg

Oh, it's a replica alright. But a real replica.. Confusing? I mean that it isn't a period (pre-1918) order and it isn't a fake meant to look like a period piece. I don't think it is even a museum copy. It is costume jewelry made by someone who saw a real one and liked the way it looked.

A close up photo of the maker mark might be enough for someone who knows costume jewelry manufactures. It doesn't look like a high quality piece, but it is interesting from a copy standpoint.

BTW; it is two piece construction and its attached by a screw. I noticed that the falcon and swords rotated slightly to the left.

Hey folks, thanks for all the responses!

I took some better pictures with a different camera. Here are 4 images of the front, back, front crown and the back crown from the side. I also am including a link to an album with the same 4 images just higher resolution.

If you guys need more images let me know! Here's the link to the higher resolution images: http://imgur.com/a/qmPAd

Edit: I also removed the chain that was getting in the way

4lARU.jpg

cU3ks.jpg

O0Hn0.jpg

bXNVY.jpg

Edited by shandi235

I wonder if it is a Göde reproduction? This company produced (and I think still does) faithful uniface reproductions of German Imperial ODM (and I have seen a few other nation's orders as well). They're based as far as I can discover in Bavaria. Others I have seen have similar backs to the one shown here.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the feedback.

We are going to look the rest of the jewelry this weekend. Maybe we will find a backing of some sort? There are 2 gashes in the back plate so perhaps there was a backing of some kind at some point.

I'll let you guys know what we find!

Cheers