News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Bowie knife - Raj Indian connection?

Hi, all.

My first attempt at posting something for discussion went off into the Ether!

I'm looking for help in identifying correctly a large Bowie knife in my possession - Raven Armoury is running it for me at the moment, so you can see it there, too. Friends have suggested that it is Raj period - mid-to-late nineteenth century. Certainly, the carved silver mounts on the tooled leather sheath might be explained by that view. The blade has no marks, nor ever had, I think. Brute of a blade: nearly a foot long (29.6cm); just over an inch and a half (5.1cm) wide at the crossguard; 0.95cm thick at the crossguard! The blade is slightly, deliberately, offset to follow the natural line of the bone/antler/horn hilt, and similarly the iron crossguard is very slightly canted to the same end. Mixed messages from this one: great steel (say Raven, and they would know); an elaborate and expensive sheath ensemble; yet a deceptively simple and very tough iron and bone hilt assembly which suggests, to me at least, that this was meant to be a working knife.

Any help would be appreciated. My own images are too big for this format - see Raven!

Most Bowie knives - at least those of British manufacture - usually have a maker's name , or mark. The appearance of this one suggests

a British origin with the stag's antler grip.

Try to enter a photo of the blade - the dealer listing is not relevant as we do not allow advertising on the Forum. Meanwhile, welcome to

GMIC and I hope we see many posts from you. Mervyn

Hi, Mervyn. I was unaware of the etiquette regarding dealers. I directed members to the site as there were already photos of my knife there and the GMIC site seemed incapable of showing more than one image - understanding the technical issues of digital photography is still beyond me, I'm afraid. Regards.

Hi, Wood.

I'm grateful for the assistance! If the hilt looks clumsy, it's probably down to poor photography. It's very tactile and fills the hollow of the hand nicely - even in the left hand. There is still some doubt in my mind about the origin of the sheath. The style of the silver mounts might indicate Raj - I have seen the same design and quality on an old, silver-mounted kukri. A bit frustrating.

The mounts and/or the scabbard could have been made for it elsewhere. Either to tart it up (pimp, in modern parlance) or replace the lost original. The mounts certainly look Eastern.

Hmm, pimp my scabbard, sounds rude.

Pete

Edited by Wood

David - with GMIC you will find that as you make more posts that the size allowance increases.

Other Members have pointed out that it has probably been re-sheathed. Had he taken it with him on service in WW2

he could easily have had a new one made in the Middle or, Far East. I agree, it has an Egyptian or, Middle Eastern

look.

With regard to the blade - there are appears to be a 'cut away' shaping in the middle. Both Britain and Germany like

handles made of stag's horn - however, in this case my inclination is that it is probably German. However, these

things were made to be sold all over the World - so, no knowing where it came from.

Price wise, I would think something in the region of about 250 - 300 pounds. They are always popular. By the way -

very impressed with the Times as background - I hope we can keep up with you................. Mervyn

Hi, Mervyn. You may be right about the Eastern influence on the sheath fittings. However, I still think it is more likely to be Indian and earlier - I'm attaching a quick snap of an early 19th century Indian-made kukri with similar embellishment. Mogul, and therefore Islamic, influence, I suspect. And it could be the case here, too. As for the price estimate, at that money may I order half a dozen, please?! The Times is just a newspaper, and not very good by older standards - it tells the news as Mr Murdoch would like, but its date helps establish authentic time and likely ownership of whatever blade is photographed on it! Best wishes, David.